Obama Continues Stepping Up his Public Piety

by Keith Koffler on April 4, 2012, 4:40 pm

President Obama was in full religious mode at today’s White House Easter Prayer Breakfast, lacing his remarks this year with vivid Christian imagery as he addressed clergy from around the country in the East Room.

The president as of late has presented himself more openly as a Christian, adding greater amounts of religious phrasing to events like this and the lighting of the National Christmas Tree while he and his family have starting attending church – including a public stroll or two across Lafayette Park – more often.

Obama’s public profession of his religious beliefs is sure to play well with most Americans, but especially with his base of African Americans, whom he needs to turn out for him in November.

While the president only mentioned Jesus by name twice in each of his last two Easter Prayer Breakfasts, this year he invoked the name of Jesus six times.

Here’s some of what he said to give you the flavor:

So it is only because Jesus conquered His own anguish, conquered His fear, that we’re able to celebrate the resurrection.  It’s only because He endured unimaginable pain that wracked His body and bore the sins of the world that He burdened — that burdened His soul that we are able to proclaim, “He is Risen!”

We all have experiences that shake our faith.  There are times where we have questions for God’s plan relative to us — (laughter) — but that’s precisely when we should remember Christ’s own doubts and eventually his own triumph.  Jesus told us as much in the book of John, when He said, “In this world you will have trouble.”  I heard an amen.  (Laughter.)  Let me repeat.  “In this world, you will have trouble.”

AUDIENCE:  Amen!

THE PRESIDENT:  “But take heart!”  (Laughter.)  “I have overcome the world.”  (Applause.)  We are here today to celebrate that glorious overcoming, the sacrifice of a risen savior who died so that we might live.  And I hope that our time together this morning will strengthen us individually, as believers, and as a nation.

Obama recently found himself at odds with the Catholic church with his demand that Catholic institutions cover birth control.

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

“…we have questions for God’s plan relative to us — (nervous laughter) — but…”

Girly1 April 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Was Bishop Timothy Dolan among the invited guests….or is he still trying to extract the knife from his back!

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Mmmyeah…I don’t think just one knife’ll stop Bishop Dolan.
Nice point though. If he was there, he probably caught a few ‘daggers’ though…

Yeah?

(crickets)

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

He did seem to hit all the right bullet points before the neat wrap-up though (the speechwriter probably saw a few movies about Jesus, so…)

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I heard there was a drum solo too?
Cool.

William April 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm

His internal polls on support from Christians must be absolutely plummeting.

Susan April 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm

That little mockery he made of Christianity (laughter) certainly won’t gain him any new converts.

langley barfly April 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Barack Hussien Obama is a “christian”…?

Lizzy April 4, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Oh dear I fear this pathetic little man keeps digging a deeper hole everytime
he preaches his faux Christian President routine. Yes the poll numbers must be very bad. When he was King of all he just blew off Easter and Christians of
all stripes now that he needs their vote it’s Rev Obama. Blasphemer-in Chief.

LivnLaVidaBroka April 4, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Trying way too hard to be something he’s not. If the event was for a gathering of Christian leaders . . . why was Obama there?

Just2old April 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

He lies

srdem65 April 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm

From celebrating Easter Sunday on Wednesday to this disgraceful and disrespectful monologue on the life of Jesus Christ, BarackObama is not a Christian. The assemby at this breakfast were LAUGHING at the mention of God’s plan, and applauding when MrO has “overcome the world”.
Wearing of a “hoodie” to promote a racial hatred, joking about the most sacred day in Christian theology… no. words.

Who was at this farce of a religious observance?

Lizzy April 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Yes well you know how hard it is to get a visitor/donor list and if the media were there they would cover for him. Easter Prayer breakfast
my what a whopper. Fundraiser.

Susan April 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I share your outrage srdem. My guess is the cult of Obama was well represented at the observance. Sacrilege.

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Wasn’t this event originally scheduled for the 1st?

Cindy Lu April 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

oh puhleese!

romney is so going to lose too :(

Star April 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Then it’s just sign that God wasn’t persecuting Obama after all. Aw.

WMP April 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Keith – I really appreciate all your hard work. To be honest – I really don’t care if our President goes to church – to me it is the dishonesty of using that to make one look “holy” – only go when it suits the masses and to give the illusion that you are like them and oh by the way – I’d like to be re-elected.

Mike Lester April 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm

“Jailhouse Conversion”. simple as that: poll numbers say you got to right w/ Jeeeezus. “Can I get a barf bag?”

Star April 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Sold out.

Star April 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm

We’re laughing in agreement that he had so much trouble like Jesus? What?

Slim Pickens April 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I wonder if the word “(laughter)” actually scrolls up the Teleprompter

Star April 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm

In this world we are going to have trouble–and guess who has brought us a bunch lately.

Linky Drake April 4, 2012 at 7:37 pm

We celebrate the Resurrection because Jesus conquered death and rose from the dead and presented his death as satisfaction for the sin debt that was owed to the justice of God, not because he conquered his fears and anguish… Obama is as a poor a theologian as he is a president…

JD Bandit April 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I’ll just leave this here. I hope you don’t mine. I feel it’s relevant. If Rev. Obama can quote John I’ll counter with Matthew.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit.”
Matthew 7:15

Stephen C. April 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I in all civility say, Bulls-eye.

Susan April 4, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Wonder if any of the members of the Muslim Brother who visited the White House on Tuesday were in the peanut gallery “laughing” at Christianity today?

Quintis Arrius April 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Oops I missed the chapter of the Parable of the Doubting Jesus. I can’t recall that Jesus was of a doubtful mind at all. If anything, Jesus was the most decided human being alive.
This guy can’t get Constitutional law tenets correct, so it is not surprizing he flubbs the Bible too.
Everything that comes out of this man’s Lobster-hole should be treated as suspect not because he lies, but he has a cursory understanding of the world.
BTW my new hero is Judge Jerry Smith.

Stephen C. April 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm

It’s not entirely his fault, he is reading from the TOTUS. It’s just 99% his doing.

Star April 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

TOTUS is the Gospel of Wikipedia.

Jnfr April 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Honestly, I don’t really care how often a head of state appears in any place of worship. Personally, I don’t show up much myself, but still consider myself a good Christian. It’s not how often you make an appearance at your particular place of worship, it is how you live your day to day life.

What really “frosts” me is using it as a photo op, and that all is he is doing. Trying to fool the “Dumb-Masses”.

What I am looking for in a head of state is a person who is Honest about their objectives. Has the same goals and values as mine (reduce the deficit, reduce the spending, reduce the size of government, protect the nation from Enemies (foreign & abroad).

I am not looking for social issues as activism. I really could care less who you “marry”, I don’t want to “regulate and limit” abortion ( I am pro choice, but anti-abortion) Stay the hell out of MY personal choices – weather it be what I eat, what products I purchase, who I love, how I raise my children, whether I chose to smoke, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, wear a seatbelt, etc (not all these apply personally to me, but If you want to do dumb things, go for it…. maybe you will make the Darwin Awards.

Techie April 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Is there anyone actually running or managing our country?

Just2old April 5, 2012 at 7:18 am

Valeri Jarrett

OneOpinion April 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

exactly — he is only the shell puppet

MichelleIndependent April 5, 2012 at 12:02 am

Barack Obama is a pathetic, sorry excuse for a man.

What a despicable little phony.

MaryOhSoContrary April 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

Keith…and fellow posters I think there is another MORE maniacal reason for Brother Barry to be going off in full Preacher mode…

Contrast and attack on Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith. Larry O’Donnell has been “schooling” all 12 of his msnbc viewers on the minutae of the Latter Day Saints…and he has been pretty ugly–calling out their scripture on plural marriage, racism, etc…trial balloon to see how theocracy thuggery would fly? But what really scared me was last week, at a campaign stop in WI, Romney was asked by a Ron Paul supporter about Mormon believes on the races…and the Romney people TOOK the microphone away from the Paulbot…and Mitt NEVER addressed the topic. Like it didn’t happen.

Point is…Preacher Obama is mixing in alittle Christianity here and there to make the inclusion of smearing Mormonism acceptable (Romney believes that?!?) and the Romney team doesn’t seem to be wanting to “get out in front” of it by answering/smacking down weaklings like O’Donnel or the random Paulbot. That is troublesome with LSM ready and willing to do Barry’s dirty work.

757driver April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Mary – You hit the nail right on the head. This is why the Obama team has wanted Romney all along. He is an easy target when it comes to contrasting the supposed Christian beliefs of the President and the Mormon beliefs of Romney. It also makes it easier to play the race card because it can be done under the guise of Mormon views and writings. I agree with what you are saying about the Romeny team. This election will NOT be about policy, it will be about the Obama teams attacking Romney’s religion and character, and the Romney team attempting to respond. I have a feeling the Romney team will not be able to keep up with all of the mud coming their way.

Stefan April 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

I wonder how many imams attended the prayer breakfast. In the interests of “tolerance” and “diversity” and “cross-cultural understanding” there should have been at least one.

drjohn April 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

“But take heart!” (Laughter.) “I have overcome the world.”

Sure he wasn’t talking about himself again?

GWShrub April 5, 2012 at 9:15 am

Ya, that’s the way I took it.

Star April 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

So far as I know–the tides are as high as ever.

drjohn April 5, 2012 at 9:03 am

Obama talks Christianity but promotes and nurtures Islam.

OneOpinion April 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

A time for reflection — what would Jesus say about the current train of events? Just a couple of items to consider.
Israel has been attacked by a rocket from Egypt while O had the Muslim brotherhood as guests. So far, no response from WH. Janet N issues back door waivers for illegals. George Zimmerman worked all his life, volunteered to help keep his community safe but because he was perceived as “white” there has been an outcry for blood and worse. Yet — Sharpton called for escalation trying to incite a race war without all the facts in completely and is rewarded with a breakfast at the wh. The GSA spent lavishly on themselves and everyone is up in arms about it – people are fired – even the house is investigating. No one has investigated the fraud of he wh in listing the daughters as staff to avoid paying their way on a trip to Africa. Joe Biden docked taxpayers for his last trip to make a speech that was almost entirely political, no one says anything. The first family uses the secret service as babysitters for their daughter’s spring break in Mexico at 13 !!!!
This administration is the “do as I say, not as I do” party. The bible has a term for that — hypocrite.

ImNoDhimmi April 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

Even this atheist finds Obama’s “Christianity of convenience” completely insulting and disgusting.

Obama worships no-one and nothing but himself.

Shofar April 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

During his little homely, Obama stated, “And for me, and I’m sure for some of you, it’s also a chance to remember the tremendous sacrifice that led up to that day, and all that Christ endured–not just as a Son of God, but as a human being.”

The pivotal words being, “a Son of God.” According to Christian doctrine, and scripture, Jesus was the ONLY son of God, not “a” son of God. This may sound like hair splitting to some, but his understanding of Christian theology is about as good as his understanding of Constitutional law. The devil is in the details, and it is little things such as “a” vs. “the only” that show Obama’s true understanding of the fundamental doctrine of the Christian faith.

Obama wants to quote from John, I’ll add one more quote, “Jesus wept.” John 11:36.

Steve April 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Obama is a complete phony, yet again, but especially on this. He is on the opposite end of so many of Jesus’ teachings on social issues: Gay marriage, abortion, etc. He picks and chooses what is convenient for him to follow at the time.

Cooper April 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Slimiest, most sickeningly transparent suck-up ever. He is a disgrace to the office, to the country, and to our common heritage.

ROCK April 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

hello, presisent how are you? get my telephone.

ROCK April 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

do you like tibetmastiffi, if you like call me, i hope obama buy my tibet mastiffi