Poo Poo Head Arlen Specter, Obamacare, and The Court

by Keith Koffler on April 2, 2012, 9:57 am

There, I said it. I called the former senior Senator from Pennsylvania a Poo Poo Head.

Because he is. And he is also partly responsible for the possibility that Obamacare will not be declared unconstitutional. I’ll tell you why.

But first, to establish Specter’s credentials as a Poo Poo Head, listen to this, courtesy of The Daily Caller:

It’s moments like these that remind we why I’ve never liked Specter. The final straw for me with Specter came a full 25 years ago, when he faced off with Robert Bork during the 1987 Judiciary Committee hearings on his nomination to be a Supreme Court Justice.

Bork was then viewed as perhaps the most qualified candidate for the Supreme Court in the nation. Then the political attack began.

Sen. Edward Kennedy famously led off by sliming Bork on the Senate floor:

Robert Bork’s America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens’ doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the Government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is—and is often the only—protector of the individual rights that are the heart of our democracy.

Then-Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, one Joe Biden, soon fell into line. Here’s what he had said about Bork in 1996, just after the Senate had confirmed the equally conservative Antonin Scalia by a vote of 98-0.

Say the administration sends up Bork. and, after our investigations, he looks a lot like Scalia. I’d have to vote for him, and if the [special-interest] groups tear me apart, that’s the medicine I’ll have to take.

Well, Biden wasn’t going to be taking any medicine, as it turned out. He was running for president, and he flipped his position on Bork.

That’s where Specter comes in.

It was a new day suddenly for Supreme Court nominees. What should have been a no-brainer now was politically dangerous territory for a moderate Republican like Specter.

arlen specterSo Specter, known as a pretty good legal mind himself – though the mind is contained within a Poo Poo Head – launched into an arcane and erudite Socratic Dialogue with Bork on the Constitution, pretending to try to devine Bork’s views so he could make an educated decision on his vote.

What this was, I have always firmly believed, was actually a smokescreen for Specter’s foreordained conclusion that securing his own petty political hide required a vote against Bork.

Specter became the only Republican on the committee to vote with the Democrats to send a negative recommendation on the nomination to the floor. It gave a certain legitimacy to the vendetta against Bork.

Specter pretended he opposed Bork because he was smarter than the other Republicans on the committee. But he was simply more craven.

After Bork went down and another hapless nominee withdrew, Ronald Reagan was forced to nominate someone nice and safe. His name was Anthony Kennedy, the swing vote on Obamacare, and so many other issues.

Bork, who would still be on the court today, would have left no doubt which dustbin Obamacare was headed into.

{ 1 trackback }

Sal Mineo April 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

LMAO!
Sweet
It is a little-known fact outside political circles that Arlen Specter is, in fact, a poo-poo head.
This I believe

Sal Mineo April 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

Most folks have forgotten all about Old Arlen
(I said his name like they said ‘Newman’ on Seinfeld)

Just2old April 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

I agree with your assessment of this man. To me, he’s repugnant….but I like the sound of poo poo head much better!

srdem65 April 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Oh, poor baby, disrespected by a “nobody talk show host”. The turn-coat Repub who ended his career as a Dem has no one to blame but himself.

“poo-poo” head is too nice a description for this blowhard.

Susan April 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

Spector is typical of the Washington hypocrites who have been profiting off their public office way too long. He’s hawking his book that blames Senator DeMint and the Tea Party for the fight the moderates had in the 2010 election. He thinks we’re all cannibals for trying to put an end to their never-ending cocktail soirees in between stealing our liberty and freedom by appointing activist judges and passing extra-constitutional legislation.

He is just a symptom of the problem in D.C. These politicians – both Democrats and Republicans – have been seduced by the siren song of political graft and corruption long ago. The only cure is expulsion from the rarefied air of Washington D.C. and replacing them with freedom loving patriots who know what it is like to work for a living.

Just2old April 2, 2012 at 10:40 am

Well said Susan! Spector/Biden: poster childeren for term limits.

srdem65 April 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

So, true.

AFVET April 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

Term Limits NOW !
Nicely said Susan.

Girly1 April 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

Keith, you are too kind! There’s a special place in hell for Arlen ‘Benedict’ Specter!

D.V. April 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

Funny how history comes back to bite you.

Star April 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

How I feel about Schumer…

AZ Granny April 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

Not only is he a poo poo head, but there’s also something of his personality that I just can’t pinpoint, other than to say he gives me the creeps. Maybe because I read elsewhere that in his book he talks about all the nudity in the gym (said Thune looked like a movie star naked or clothed, Ted K a walrus) and how Palin oozed sensuality because when they were sitting in a crowded bus their knees touched as her skirt rose a bit above her knees.

Susan April 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

What a perverted old geezer. Wouldn’t read his book if he was handing them out for free.

Mark Holbrook April 2, 2012 at 11:46 am

Frankly, your designation of Specter is too kind. I’ve always viewed him as SFB Specter. And your blog is family friendly, so I’ll not elaborate and define my identifier…even though it is in the public domain.

Sadie April 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Poo Poo Head or as said, “sh*t for brains”.

MaryOhSoContrary April 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oh Keith…when I saw “poo poo head” I got all defensive thinking you were dissing Mr. Santorum…but was relieved to find out you WERE referencing a true $#!+head…Snarlin Arlen! And I can call him that cause I live in PA and my dues have been paid.

Here I thought Mr. Scottish Law had retired. Moved to FL…maybe invested in a metal detector to walk the beach with (he could find some more “magic bullets”!) maybe he and the Missus were taking the early buffets…but NO!!! He was busily dictating his memoirs. Waxing about VP candidates skirts; nekkid Senators; and other unsavories that would even his fellow Warren Commissioners wince…

Mr. Spector…Scotland called. They want you to theorize Norwegian Law from now on.

Smaj April 3, 2012 at 12:36 am

Being a Poo Poo Head is the least of his problenms. He has dementia. Someone should intervene and trundle him off to the home.