Obama to Medvedev: After Election, ‘Flexibility’ on Missile Defense

by Keith Koffler on March 26, 2012, 7:53 am

President Obama suggested to Russian President Dmitri Medvedev today that he will have more room to scale back U.S. missile defense plans once he is no longer answerable to voters.

Jake Tapper of ABC News reports that the conversation was heard accidentally as reporters were entering a room to listen to remarks by the two leaders.

The exchange was picked up by microphones as reporters were let into the room for remarks by the two leaders.

The exchange:

President Obama: On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space.

President Medvedev: Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…

President Obama: This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.

President Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir.

Russia is claiming to be “exasperated” over U.S. plans to install an anti-missile shield in Europe. The United States says the missiles are to defend against Iran, not Russia.

But Eastern Europe views the plan as a way to help ensure its defense against Russia. Obama presumably would not want to anger sizable Eastern European voting blocs in key presidential battleground states in the Midwest by making drastic changes to the program before the election. Nor would he want to open himself to the charge from his Republican adversary that he’s weak on defense.

A White House official sought to explain the remarks by saying “there is a lot of rhetoric around this issue.”

Russia has historically sought to roll back U.S. missile defense plans, starting during the days when Ronald Reagan began to advance the idea.

H/T to Politico’s Playbook, where I first saw this.

Just2old March 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

If he wins reelection the U.S. is so screwed in every conceivable way!

brstevens March 26, 2012 at 8:45 am

Depressingly true, and it’s amazes me how people who like Obama well enough to vote for him again are so blind to the reality of a second term.

Jack March 26, 2012 at 10:41 am

The American president begging to the Russians? Obummer is this nation’s embarrassment and must be stopped as if reelected he plans to further damage our country.

Raymond March 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Now, for those of Obama’s Supporters that had any doubt how this “President” thinks & operates, it’s now been put to rest. Enjoy Re-Electing Him. You’ll probably get your “Free Stuff,” buy not enough time to enjoy it!

srdem65 March 26, 2012 at 8:23 am

There it is; the mask has been pulled away and the real Obama is revealed.
Without the restraint of voter’s outrage, MrO has plans to do something that he’s afraid to do now. Whatever his plans for our relationship with Russia after his “reelection”, they are so extreme that he fears the American public would turn against him.

Every speech he gives, every off-hand remark he makes, he reveals the truth about himself.

Rick March 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

@SRD, outstanding comment! Lets hope we minimize the time he has to further hurt our country, making it only Nov-Jan 2013!

Just2old March 26, 2012 at 9:04 am

At least Foxnews has this story on their front page. But, I wonder if the average voter has any idea of the ramifications of what he said and what he will do if reelected?

ol gator March 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm

And I thought bill clinton was a liar… well, we all know HE is but this barry hussein so much more than that.. he is guilty of willful & blatant treason… Can you imagine if this was happening 25-30 yrs ago?
This criminal would be in jail where he belongs…
And all would be in agreement !

DeniseVB March 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

I’ve only seen it on hard right news sites, but did BO really turn over part of Alaska’s oil fields to Russia too?

Anonna March 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

“Rhetoric” is the cloud word they are using to diffuse the meaning of this exchange.

What he said was, “I have to hide my agenda until I am re-elected. Once I am answerable to no one, many people are going to get a big surprise.”

Why does the President frighten me more than any other in my lifetime? In history?

AFVET March 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Because of the Marxist regime he has surrounded himself with, another four years of his presidency will wreak so much havoc on this Country that we may never be able to recuperate.
Rush has stated that he needs to be defeated in a landslide.
If the election is close, Obama will win.
With the present cadre of candidates, I do not see a landslide against him.
The longer this primary goes, the less time Obama has to unleash his dogs on them.
The longer the primary goes, the more time Obama has to expose himself for what he really is.
Hopefully, enough people will realize the danger the Country is in if he is re-elected.

jaytrain March 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

Since the Senate has abandoned its advise and consent powers in the recess appts. mess , they won’t really mind ditching their ratification of treaties powers as well . It sure is good we don’t have that imperial BUSH running over what’s left of the Constitution

David March 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

What this statement boils down to is him asking the Russians for help in winning his next election. He is asking them to wait while he lies to the American people until the next election is over.

Cut and dry, no other explanation.

Granny Jan March 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
Marcus Tullius Cicero Quotes

Susan March 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

Very timely quote Granny Jan. We live in very dangerous times…

Jack March 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

That’s why my vote won’t be for Romney but against Obummer.

Susan March 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m not waving the white flag on nominating a conservative candidate quite yet. I’m hoping Texas will finally have a say in who our nominee will be.

Jack March 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Don’t get me wrong, my fingers are crossed too, but in either case ABO.

langley barfly March 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Amen.

(you just gave me a new favorite qoute)

anneinarkansas March 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

After I am re-elected, I can inflict whatever I want to on the peasants of this country.

Lizzy March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am

Other than his usual hubris maybe he figures he will win even if he
doesn’t who would we turn to for justice Eric Holder?

rawheadrex March 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Do we really need any further proof of BHO’s intentions? Every member of Congress should know this. There are sufficient to take action.

Girly1 March 26, 2012 at 10:14 am

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone – but now we have it in his own words! The quisling in the White House told all of us he wanted to fundamemtally transform the United States of America – but we are going to have to wait until his second term to find out the meaning of those words.

I would rather play a game of Russian roulette than give him another term! He should finish up his first term in Federal prison!

Does anyone recall the NAFTA ‘rhetoric’ in his 08 campaign! He said he was going to repeal or re-negotiate NAFTA – it was causing huge job losses in the U.S. The Canadians heard this and went ballistic. Obama sent Austin G(h)oulsbee to Canada to assuage their feelings – telling them that it was just ‘campaign rhetoric’ – it wasn’t going to happen! Obama couldn’t dig hmself out of that hole – it should have cost him the election. As we all know, he has done nothing to address NAFTA. Nada!

Anonna March 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

I remember – and the Obots just went on weaving flowers in their hair and teaching their children to chant, “Hope and Change.”

Rahul March 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

folks, this is how narcissists think and operate. it is about “me” first, then the job, then getting something accomplished. doesn’t this guy’s ME attitude come thru clearly to everyone else? he’s a freak.

John Cassavetes March 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

Very Chilling

(Which is great in a martini…but here…not so much)

dave March 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

this is the third request he has made tied to his re-election

1) Israel should wait to strike Iran till after the election

2) Palestinians statehood should wait till after the election

3) Russia will get US missile reductions after the election

Be outraged at all

John Cassavetes March 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Psych!!

Sharon March 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

He’s right about the rhetoric…his is non stop, boring, lying, and deceptive. He’s counting on being re-elected, and the voters must make sure he is not. Something should have done about him a long time ago, but now the power and control is all his. His incredible ego and arrogance, as well as self-importance, is apparent in everything he says and does. Who in their right mind cannot see this needs a mental evaluation. What are we waiting for…the end of the world brought about by him…through his misguided war mongering and disregard of individual rights and the Constitution. That is, of course, and unless, you might look like the son he never had, or the Afghan people he calls his children. We don’t need a round of Kool-ade, this is how cults are formed and how they are subjected to mental and physical control. Hello America…wake up and smell the coffee!!!

veritaseequitas March 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.

John Cassavetes March 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

I think the majority of us (most Americans) feel dread at the thought of a 2nd (or 3rd) term.
But simply being in the majority is not enough when the fix is in.
They have to be called-out on every lie and every half-fact and more and more people have to know their nature

ANDREW LIVES!.

Mark Holbrook March 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is utterly disgusting! The president cannot even act like a president. Instead, he is kowtowing to the Russians because he has to concentrate on his damn fund raising instead of protecting the American people. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong in any book.

The Original March 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This guy has to go. He cannot be trusted with anything. I wouldn’t let him babysit my cat.

John Cassavetes March 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

“After my election, I have more flexibility”
All two-term Presidents have more latitude but somehow when he says that it scares the crap out of me.
I read it aloud to my dog and he let out a small whine and pooped right then and there
(good dog)

AZ Granny March 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Thank goodness this conversation was recorded. Obama has revealed his true self to the American public. Unfortunately, his followers will continue to support him. But his tactics scare me.. What else is he holding back until after the election?

Meanwhile, Rep. Mike Turner, Chairman of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces has a nice little reminder for Obama:

“Congress has made exquisitely clear to your Administration and to other nations that it will block all attempts to weaken U.S. missile defenses. As the Chairman of the Strategic Forces Subcommittee, which authorizes U.S. missile defense and nuclear weapons policy, I want to make perfectly clear that my colleagues and I will not allow any attempts to trade missile defense of the United States to Russia or any other country,” wrote Turner.

MarjoJimbo March 26, 2012 at 2:10 pm

It’ so frightening that I am dumbfounded.

John Cassavetes March 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So, Putin has consolidated power and our President – in an unknowingly recorded moment – implies he’ll have more flexibility on our missile defense programs in his next term?
Yikes

Owen Kellogg March 27, 2012 at 5:52 am

High treason.

Obama signals to Putin that he is perfectly willing to sell out American interests while demanding nothing in return. But we have to wait until after November for it to happen.

kids jordan shoes August 19, 2014 at 2:37 am

welcome to visit our site, there are more than 30000 style and color for air force 2,white air max 90 womens.
kids jordan shoes http://goo.gl/mH6DNw