White House Assails Military Benefits

by Keith Koffler on February 28, 2012, 10:07 am

The White House is proposing to force retired and active duty military families to pay drastically more for health care as part of a plan to reduce costs and potentially force service members into the Obamacare health system, according to the Washington Free Beacon.

This while Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden traverse their country to promote their “Joining Forces” campaign to assist military families, an effort that has helped Michelle remake her image into that of a red-white-and-blue backer of the military.

From the article.

The plan calls for increases between 30 percent to 78 percent in Tricare annual premiums for the first year. After that, the plan will impose five-year increases ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels

According to congressional assessments, a retired Army colonel with a family currently paying $460 a year for health care will pay $2,048.

The new plan hits active duty personnel by increasing co-payments for pharmaceuticals and eliminating incentives for using generic drugs.

The administration is asking troops to get by without the equipment and force levels needed for global missions. “And now they are going to them again and asking them to pay more for their health care when you’ve held the civilian workforce at DoD and across the federal government virtually harmless in all of these cuts. And it just doesn’t seem fair,” the second aide said.

While proposing to cut military benefits, the White House publicity machine is putting out videos like this.

Please, call her back and tell her she will have to pay more for her health insurance.

H/T to Shofar, one of our readers, who pointed this out to me. He blogs at throughthenet.

{ 1 trackback }

sportinlife10 February 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

GGGGRRRRR: Is “whited sepulchres” racist?

rawheadrex February 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

If the president is cutting military and benefits to same, while increasing spending for local and federal level law enforcement, is he hedging his bet against the forces he will be able to control of civil unrest occurs?

Susan February 28, 2012 at 10:28 am

Fortunately this is one change the Marxist can’t mandate on his own. This breach of trust he and Panetta are cooking up has to passed by the legislature. No way a Republican led House would ever dismantle military benefits in this way.

langley barfly February 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm

…I dont know… I DO NOT trust Speaker Boehner or any so-called House Republican “leadeship”…

Jeff February 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

Filthy hypocrites, both of them.

Obama is having no problem finding cuts for the military which is the single most important obligation of the Federal government, securing the safety of the American people and interests abroad. This temporary politician and his wife will pay for their tyranny and lawlessness. What goes around comes around.

brstevens February 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

I hate all this “asking” nonsense. No one is “asking” anyone to do anything. Will is being unilaterally imposed and those affected are told to deal with it. It’s the same garbage my esteemed Governor here in Maryland tries to pull off every time he screws the citizenry a little harder.

sportinlife10 February 28, 2012 at 10:40 am

Is that the guy whose name the o doesn’t know?

brstevens February 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

Yep, Gov. “Jack” O’Malley. :-)

srdem65 February 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

MrsO’s newly-found love, awe, and amazement at the sacrifices of our military and their families is at odds with MrO’s distain for the lives of our troops and the future of their families. It’s not exactly a wash, because no one really believes that MrsO cares a whit about the men and women we depend on to keep us free and safe.

The carefully crafted patriotism that both Obamas are using to promote themselves so that they can enjoy another 4 years at the WhiteHouse is transparent and almost laughable when examined by their words or actions that prove otherwise.

brstevens February 28, 2012 at 10:53 am

Their actions are always diametrically opposed to their words on everything. Everything! The fact that half the country hasn’t seen through the Obamas by now is the most infuriating thing I can think of.

Sailingbum February 28, 2012 at 11:30 am

@brstevens

You hit the nail squarely on the head!!
Doesn’t say much for the intellect of half of America..

Star February 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

More than half if this guy wins another term.

Lizzy February 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Just when you think it can’t get worse. And I greatly fear he will
get 4 more one way or another you know he has as much disdain
for the rules and Constitution as they do for the military. God
help us all if he does win.

A.J. February 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

I Retired From The USAF in 1988 after 20 years of service. At the time the “promise” was “Free Healthcare For Life”. Then we started to have to pay co-pays and a yearly fee. The cost was very reasonable but no longer free. Now our country is in a bad place economically and I wouldn’t object to paying more to help my country but EVERYBODY needs to chip in. I noticed that Civilian Department of Defense workers aren’t being “asked” to pay anything extra.

brstevens February 28, 2012 at 11:00 am

The wild conspiracy theory I’ve heard about the fact that troops will pay increases while DoD civilians won’t is because there’s a plan afoot to unionize members of the military and this is a step to make that happen.

It seems crazy, but it turns out that misguided Fast and Furious gun running operation that got a border patrol agent killed was a step in the effort to repeal the 2nd Amendment, so who knows anymore…

Wigglesworth February 28, 2012 at 11:29 am

That is exactly what I was going to say. I don’t think people mind paying a little more as long as everyone is chipping in. If all government/military employees have to pay more for their healthcare and pensions then that is fair.

William February 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

What a lot of people are missing is that this will cause a massive cultural shift in the US military. Currently, about 62% of males and 48% of females are married, and the overall is more than 70%.

If married troops are unable to afford to pay for their families’ health care, they will opt to try to find employment elsewhere. What this will lead to is a new dynamic where unmarried troops outnumber married. This sort of dynamic hasn’t been seen since the days of the draft before gender integration.

Now, that military worked well, but that was because the unmarried tended to be junior troops who would not look to make the military a career and still had plans to marry, which meant that seniors tended to be married and have children.

This move will cause the junior troops who choose to make the military a career to prefer to remain single rather than attempt to take on the extra burden of a family that they can’t afford. What happens when the majority of the upper echelons of leadership are single?

Shofar February 28, 2012 at 11:28 am

Maybe that’s why there was a big push to repeal DADT. Gays still do not have the “right” to marry in most states, and if you have a primarily single cohort of personnel, the gay lifestyle would fit in nicely.

William February 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

It could be. This decision will, in reality, only affect troops with spouses who are civilians or dual-military couples with children. Dual-military couples without children will see no change because active duty health care is handled differently.

Once the DADT repeal was finalized, an immediate push began to provide homosexual “married” troops the same benefits as heterosexual married troops. If that happens you could, theoretically, wind up with dual-military homosexual couples without children predominating. In other words, we’d be recreating the Theban Sacred Band.

Shofar February 28, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I think I saw them play in San Fransisco once.

;-)

Just2old February 28, 2012 at 11:26 am

I retired from the U.S. Navy at the end of 2000 after 21 years of service. When I enlisted, we were promised healthcare for life. OK, they pulled the ‘ol switch-a-roo in the 90′s and forced us into TriCare. If they pull this off, it will force us into the VA system which sucks. I’m sure that will be the next step in an effort to screw those who have served this once great nation.

Just2old February 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Or, I can keep working, hope I don’t get sick; and die in my sleep. Then they can turn me into Soylent Green! Win-win

langley barfly February 28, 2012 at 4:08 pm

bravo zulu! -lol

Jojo February 28, 2012 at 11:33 am

I and my husband are also retired military, it amazes me that those who have done something, who have contributed to society in a way that MOST have not are being asked to pay for something they were promised for FREE. While those who have done nothing and were promised nothing, who should PAY are being put in the position to recieve it for free. And the number of freeloaders is much higher than the number of retired military! So which one is going to cost the government more? But which one will buy the most votes?

kim pinkston February 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Jojo,
You are exactly right. There are more freeloaders than there are military but they always want to punish those who worked for their money.

gobnait February 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

…all while Obama preserves the benefits of civil employees. My outrage knows no bounds and I have to step away from the news for health reasons.

anneinarkansas February 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Sickening, Disgusting, Criminal, Hypocrisy, Mean People!

Girly1 February 28, 2012 at 12:49 pm

No one will be spared the effects of Obama’s draconian healthcare boondoggle…..except for Federal employees and union thugs! Watching the racist MOOCHelle wrap herself in the American flag is appalling!

sportinlife10 February 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Not true: American muslims have an exemption to all ocare “on religious grounds.”

tdrag February 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Obama is not fit to shine the boots of the lowest PFC, Airman, or Seaman in the US military. They are only convenient props for his photo ops or a way to gain political favor by granting them first shot at “jobs”.
He is truly a disgrace.

lc southern February 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

This is just wrong, our military deserve better. My husband and I are retirees and pay $840 a month for health care for 2 + copay Dr visits, prescriptions etc. We both retired from local govt (police), everyone seems to think since it was govt we get great benefits. Not true! We paid 5% to 7 1/2% of our pay into pension plan and receive a formula amount of 5% + the % you chose to pay into the plan of base salary for 5 highest consecutive years plus $20.00 for each year of service. If we did not also have 401k’s we would be screwed. Active employees pay $200 + depending on the plan for health. I don’t mind paying my share, but geez. At least base it on income…

Anonna February 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Just as the Obama admin used financial problems to pull troops from the Mexican border, they are now moulding the issue of cuts so that the choice is either defense or the elderly.

Of course, this is not the only choice. Just as there was no need to pull troops from the Mexican border except that Obama hopes that latinos will vote for him as more of their relatives pour across the border illegally. I trust he is wrong in that assumption, but it shows the way that he and his minions think.

barkley pontree February 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I find it appalling and at the same time I think a guy with a family is paying 460 a year? For health insurance? Even with the increases, they retired col. will pay less for his family than I do for one person, me, with a 5k deductible. So in the end, not only is the retired col. making a very nice pension, but the health care almost doubles that pension.

Most people in the workplace with a family of four (hubby, wife, 2 kids) the insurance is over 2k a month unless there are some co pays and serious deductibles.

I jumped all over this yesterday when it came out, now I’m starting to wonder. Even IF they do the cuts and cause the military to pick up more of the cost, it’s still much less than the marketplace. Unless, the author was mistaken and those costs of 400 and 2k are monthly costs and not for a whole year.

barkleypontree.blogspot.com

Lizzy February 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

So this is just another plan in the grand scheme for the Obama
utopian dream I think he’s doing it bit by bit. Must be stopped or
we will look like 50′s Soviet Union. I wish not to live in a Gulag.

langley barfly February 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Its a good thing the sycophant ‘mainstream media’ wont report this… The ‘media’ tried their damndest to blame Pres. Bush for the awful conditions at Walter Reed a few years ago… but the sycophant ‘media’ will never dare mention Obama & his neo-socialist policies assailing sacred military benefits.

Lanie February 28, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I suppose it is surprising that the government would actually consider paying less rather than more for benefits. But it isn’t surprising that Obama will do what is necessary to force socialized medical care and a single government run insurance and payment plan onto the nation. That is his plan and it was obvious it was his plan from the get-go.

Sadie February 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm

“The changes are worrying some in the Pentagon who fear it will severely impact efforts to recruit and maintain a high-quality all-volunteer military force . . . .”

Isn’t that the point. Undermine, dilute and screw US volunteered military so that they can be replaced with UN forces.

David Ballentine February 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Another reason Why these 2 couples need to be replaced they are not good for America, our citizens or our Military.

MARIA MIRANDA February 29, 2012 at 12:08 am

ANYONE WITH A BRAIN CAN SPOT A HYPOCRITE! THESE PEOPLE (MICHELLE AND BHO), ARE SO PHONY IT SICKENS ME. PRETENDING TO REALLY CARE FOR THESE MILITARY FAMILIES WHEN IN FACT ALL THEY ARE DOING IS “PANDERING” IS BEYOND THE PALE. I PRAY THAT THESE FAMILIES CAN READ RIGHT THROUGH THEM.

MARIA MIRANDA February 29, 2012 at 12:12 am

THAT’S RIGHT….MICHELLE: WHILE YOU MAKE THESE PHONY TELEPHONE CALLS TO THE VERY VULNERABLE MILITARY FAMILIES, DO NOT FORGET TO LET THEM KNOW ABOUT THE INCREASES YOUR HUSBAND PLANS TO IMPOSE ON THEIR HEALTHCARE! I’M SURE THEY WILL APPRECIATE YOUR HONEST AND INTEGRITY!!!!!!!!!

Tom Poole February 29, 2012 at 6:02 am

My generation “paid insurance forward” by getting only $75.00/mo and not a great deal more even after 20 years. But we were convinced that: 1) what we did was important; and 2) the Government would live up to the promisses it made each time we re-enlisted.
Since we now have very few people in Congress, or in the higher Civilian echelons of DOD, there is no consideration for either active duty or retireees. To their way of thinking we were/are all overpayed and coddled.
Rudyard Kipling said it best, look up “Tommy”.

Carma March 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

3When are the people going to figure out that about 95% of the congressmen and crooks to begin with. And Obama, his wife, kids and mother-in-law have been on a constant vacation since elected. I think this is the only way they can say they saw the world is to do it while in office. I resent what they are doing to the active military and the retired military. My husband was in the service 22 years and deserves what little we get. Let’s quit supporting about 150 foreign countries and take care of our own qnd, as I said, get the crooks out of the White House. That would just about clean out everyone. Also limit terms!!!

Dianne July 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

My husband served over 40 years in the military. We pay, monetarily, for Tricare insurance now. I am sure that the Obama’s will never have to worry about their health insurance since it will be supplied, and probably paid for, by the general public. Easy to talk about something when it doesn’t really effect you (the Obamas), be it income, insurance or the economy.

Ipamorelin July 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Heya i’m for any primary moment right here. I found this kind of panel we realize its definitely very helpful & it helped me out there a lot. I really hope to give anything just as before as well as assist other individuals like you reduced the problem.