At the Obama White House, the Party Never Stops

by Keith Koffler on February 22, 2012, 11:40 am

Tuesday night’s White House celebration of the blues, during which Obama sang and he, his wife and guests boogied to the sound of some of America’s greatest musical legends, is just the latest in a series of command performances and swinging parties the Obamas have thrown over the past year.

Just three months ago, on Nov. 11, the Obamas summoned a group of country music greats into the White House to perform for them. Last May, they sat for a poetry reading – including a recitation by the controversial rap artist Common. And in February 2011, the Obamas were treated to a show by the surviving stars of the Motown era.

Obamas march in the Blue RoomPerformances in earlier years staged for the Obamas have included a tribute to Paul McCartney – where the former Mop Top derided George W. Bush as an idiot -  a festival of Latino music, a “salute to Broadway,” a jazz concert, a “music of the civil rights movement” event, a classical music concert, and a “dance tribute” to ballet artist Judith Jamison.

The Obamas have also held a series of bashes this year, starting with a Super Bowl party last February that feature a variety of fattening treats well off the “Let’s Move” diet.

May 5 called for a reception celebrating Cinco de Mayo, where Obama warned, “You do not want to be between Michelle and a tamale.”

A White House Fourth of July barbecue for hundreds of troops and their families was a commendable affair.

But of course it was followed by a lavish display of self indulgence in Chicago the following month, when the president hosted an Aug. 3 birthday bash/fundraiser where attendees paid up to $35,800 and were treated to the sight of stars like Jennifer Hudson and Herbie Hancock serenading Obama.

Obama then traveled back to Washington for a private affair on his birthday, Aug. 4, where A-List stars like Charles Barkley, Chris Rock, Jay-Z and Tom Hanks showed up to fete Obama in the Rose Garden.

A White House Halloween party was thrown in October for kids of the troops, this time without a repeat of he 2009 Halloween party appearance by Johnny Depp.

None of this, of course, includes the multitude of White House holiday parties the Obamas presidents throw – as do all presidents and their wives –  including a series of Christmas soirees and events celebrating Hanukkah and Ramadan.

Car in February 22, 2012 at 11:44 am

Is that reception in the East room today going to be another party?

Florida Girl February 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Keith, I know you have said that his “official schedule” does not include everything he does on a daily basis, but man, I am just speechless at how idle the leftist idol has become. He doesn’t even pretend any more. Everyday I just find myself in complete disbelief at the way this white house flaunts its extravagant lifestyle while criticizing all who “question” his daily activities or policies.

MaryOhSoContrary February 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm

BB King sang “Sweet Home in Chicago.”. Pretty please Barry…pack your bags; take Shelli, the girls, Mama R, Val and HEAD ON HOME TO THAT SWEET HOME.

I guess I can add…why didn’t Jagger man up and sing “Brown Sugar?”. Would Me!Chelle scowl T that one !!!!!!

blondie February 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Was the Mrs. there? I thought she was off skiiing. Its almost worse if she only went for a long weekend than the whole week. If your going to fire up AirForce One,you better make it count and stay longer than 3 days.

Mrs Compton February 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Nah, she came back for the party. she’s not one to miss out on the good stuff!

Mrs Compton February 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Keith, how does this compare to other administrations? We’ve always heard about the State Dinners and all the pomp and circumstance. But never in my life have I see the partying going on with these two.

I understand that we are much more plugged in to what goes on in the WH these days, but have other presidents done the same?

Sadie February 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

It’s settled. I thought the new construction for the West Wing was a new lair – but the Apollo Colosseum would be better suited for this administration.

William February 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Well of course there was a party last night. Did you really think the Obamas were going to let Fat Tuesday pass unobserved?

Susan February 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Queenie: How can we slip this Mardi Gras blowout past the peasants Buhrock?
King Barry: Uhhh…uhhh…just call it somethin’ else my uhh sweet.
Queenie: Yeah, like, you know, somethin’ to celebrate our month again?
King Barry: Uhh…uhh…let me be clear, I will proclaim the day an Official Celebration of Blues.
Queenie: [As they exchange 0bama fist bumps] You are so brilliant Buhrock. We have a party and the peasants pay again. They owe it to us. We can invite that old rock star the peasants love – Mick Jagger. Wasn’t he one of the Stoners?
King Barry: Uhh…uhh..he better not sing that devil song.
Queenie: Yeah, like, you know, old Mick can sing to me. You can like, you know, sing another song. That last one was like, you know, cha-ching cha-ching at our website wasn’t it Buhrock?
King Barry: [folding his arms behind his neck as he props his feet on the Resolute desk] You mean MY website. It’s good to be king.

Girly1 February 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

The Oval Office sounds like a good place to begin drug testing!

Gisele February 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

They should host a tea party event.

Girly1 February 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

This is all a rehearsal for bigger things! Queenie already has her eye on Buckingham Palace after their gig is up in the USA! She won’t be happy until they ‘rule’ the world!

(Wiki) “As long as there has been a monarchy, kings and queens have maintained minstrels and jesters to entertain their courts, and these performances could be called “command performances”.

Janice/Granny Jan February 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I know I’ve done an Obama party video to Eddie Murphy’s Party All the Time a long time ago. It might be time for an update. It really is the perfect song. The videos of the WH crooner would give it a special touch. He is his own best entertainment.

Jeff February 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Coming next January…

Barry Obama: Well I’m gonna to go then! And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need *you*. I don’t need anything. Except this.
[picks up an ashtray]
Barry Obama: And that’s the only thing I need is *this*. I don’t need this or this. Just this ashtray… And this paddle game. – The ashtray and the paddle game and that’s all I need… And this remote control. – The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that’s all I need… And these matches. – The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball… And this lamp. – The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that’s all *I* need. And that’s *all* I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one… I need this. – The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I’m some kind of a jerk or something! – And this. That’s all I need.
[walking outside]
Barry Obama: The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.
Barry Obama: [outside now] And I don’t need one other thing, except my dog.
[Michelle growls at him]
Barry Obama: I don’t need my dog… I got Uncle Joe…

JBH February 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You left off the lamp!

Susan February 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

And the really cool phones…

rewinn February 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

What a sad, grumpy world today’s “Conservatives” seem to live in, when it attacks the usual round of parties at the President’s official residence. If this is the worst thing about this Administration, we are indeed lucky!
P.S. extra points for mixing in the private, non-taxpayer-funded fundraising parties held AWAY from the White House with the public parties, e.g. a barbeque for the troops and the traditional holiday parties for kids. It’s almost as if you are simply a partisan hack.

Star February 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Yes, sad, grumpy world–can’t get enough condescension, love it, eat it for lunch. I have a terrible stomachache from watching the 1% at play here, rermembering how my mother’s caregiver said Mom forgot how to sit in a chair and just looks at it like it’s a foreign object that sprang from the earth (how long until that’s me), wondering when my kid will ever get a job, wondering if I will ever get the work I used to get, wondering if Mom’s money will hold out as B of A throws it away, wondering, wondering…So yeah, I would say sad and grumpy. These spendthrifts in the WH are almost the least of concerns, except they seem to look large for me. Or live large against me.

Star February 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I mean LOOM large, not look, if you got that far…

Car in February 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Yep. We’re wondering if we can keep our business and our house. While the obama’s party.

But we’re just sad and pathetic people Star.

We should be happy that they can enjoy themselves with borrowed money, right?

Star February 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yeah–it’s just life–he is the only one with a Rose Garden that I know of.

Star February 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

At least I am not wearing a baggy gaudy top!

Car in February 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

What is honestly sad, rewinn, is how much Obama and his supporters have been enjoying the last three years. Vacations and parties, while many of us haven’t taken a decent vacation since 2008 or before. Lecturing us about shared sacrifice and fairness, all the while. Fiddling (and campaigning) while the world is falling apart.

Obama has done NOTHING since last summer, leadership wise, and doesn’t plan to until after the election.

His every action has been aimed at politics, not at what our country needs. His budget?

Meanwhile, party on, dude.

William February 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Arleen February 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I would think that if he wants everyone to “cut back” and tighten their belts, that he should lead by example and do the same. Course, we all know that he would never do that, he’s enjoying himself way too much, at our expense.

MarjoJimbo February 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Do as I say, not as I do.

Susan February 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Still remember that shindig with that idiot Paul McCartney. That ticked me off so much. Some over-the-hill foreign pop singer ridiculing one of our former presidents and the current _resident has a good laugh about it…sickening.

Rush said Jagger should have covered “Sympathy for the Devil” in honor of Satorum.

DisturbedMary February 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm

He’s anorexic. She’s not.

proof February 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

All part of “shared sacrifice”. They share, you sacrifice.

Star February 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Do they give up anything for Lent? Is that the right religion–I don’t even know anymore…or especially give a flip.

RB February 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Why shouldn’t he have parties? Have you seen his daily schedule. There’s nothing else for him to do!!

domenico dario February 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Mr. T. February 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

All part of the plan to show that things are getting better…if he’s having a good time, then everything must be okay, right?

Big headlines all over the place today how housing is now “recovering” with a 4% increase in sales last month. No mention, of course, that the previous month’s sales numbers were revised downward 5%.

Andee February 25, 2012 at 1:15 am

Just guess who pays for this and the cocaine/booze that they all consume…

Meniskos February 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Heavy are the eyelids of he who wears the crown.

Susie Q February 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Not too long ago Chris Matthews who normally is very liberal was being interviewed and he asked the question,”Just what is Obama going to do for four more years?” He said he had heard rmors of parties and all kinds of goings on at the WH. I think the liberal media is on to what is going on but either they are afraid to report it or they are too much into Obamas pocket to bring it up. I also wonder exactly what kind of parties are going on and are they using drugs. Obama does not seem too bright and sometimes indicates the kind of behaviour that drugs produce. Anyone else wonder about that.Nevertheless, I can’t wait until both of them leave the WH they have made a mockery of a place where George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson presided. Our forefathers would be quaking in their boots if they knew just how much this POTUS has shredded our constitution.

Chris Hogan April 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Actually George Washington never resided in the White House. It wasn’t built until 1800.

Indyfan April 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

They are nouveau riche and behave like it.

Price April 12, 2013 at 4:12 pm

It is a sin and a shame that no one stops this madness!!!