Stop Rick Santorum! He’s Frightening the Pundits!

by Keith Koffler on February 21, 2012, 11:01 am

As the “values candidate,” many in the political class, even Republicans, believe Rick Santorum is way, wacky far out of the “mainstream,” relying too heavily on religion-based notions of right and wrong and threatening to incorporate such anachronisms into his conduct as president.

Just take a look at a few of these quotes, offered up a couple of weeks ago during a speech the press somehow mostly missed.

But in my moments of prayer, I’m reminded that faith and values play an enormous role in motivating us to solve some of our most urgent problems, in keeping us going when we suffer setbacks, and opening our minds and our hearts to the needs of others.

We can’t leave our values at the door.  If we leave our values at the door, we abandon much of the moral glue that has held our nation together for centuries, and allowed us to become somewhat more perfect a union . . .

But I don’t stop there.  I’d be remiss if I stopped there; if my values were limited to personal moments of prayer or private conversations with pastors or friends.  So instead, I must try — imperfectly, but I must try — to make sure those values motivate me as one leader . . .

They are values that have always made this country great — when we live up to them; when we don’t just give lip service to them; when we don’t just talk about them one day a year.  And they’re the ones that have defined my own faith journey.

And today, with as many challenges as we face, these are the values I believe we’re going to have to return to in the hopes that God will buttress our efforts . . .

Just last month, it was inspiring to see thousands of young Christians filling the Georgia Dome at the Passion Conference, to worship the God who sets the captives free and work to end modern slavery . . .

I think we all understand that these values cannot truly find voice in our politics and our policies unless they find a place in our hearts.

I think you may agree that this is laying it on very thick and presents a slightly scary picture of a candidate willing to mix religion and governing in a potentially inappropriate manner.

I think you may also agree that this is Barack Obama, not Rick Santorum.

Santorum sweater factory

Santorum attempts to frighten an old lady with his values. She continues her sewing, pretending not to see him.

Obama, who indeed spoke these words at the National Prayer Breakfast February 2, actually went further, finding justification in the Bible for his financial reform, education and other programs, and suggesting he had the approval of Jesus for his tax policy.

The media’s failure to cover Obama’s extraordinary assertion that his religious views are guiding his public policies can only be attributable to a few possible causes:

1. They don’t think he’s serious, and he is just saying these things to appeal to religious voters;

2. When Obama uses Biblical teachings to guide him, he comes up with policies they like, such as taxing the rich and redistributing the money to the poor;

3. Some combination of Nos. 1 & 2.

The reasons Santorum’s moral pronouncements produce cacophonies of harrumphing is that the media know he means it and that his values will cause him to pursue genuine conservative policies. They fear and loathe such people, pronounce their candidacies dead on arrival, but somehow have a nagging concern that enough “crazies” from Oklahoma or wherever might get to the polls and make him president

Whether it’s The Moral Majority, the Christian Coalition or the Tea Party, the liberal prognosticators of the Northeastern cities always say candidates who appeal to such values-based groups are losers.

These kinds of people are unelectable, they say. Until they are elected.

Shofar February 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

Ah the joy of reading good prose! Well said Keith!

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Shofar!

Car in February 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

BRAVO Keith. linking right now.

Car in February 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

These kinds of people are unelectable, they say. Until they are elected.

Keith, Donal Trump is doing a radio show interview EVERY day (one per day I believe) in Michigan saying exactly this. Rick is unelectable, if we vote for him (here in Michigan) we’re dooming ourselves to four more years of Obama.

I’m neither answering the phone, nor listening to the radio this week.

Car in February 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

DonalDDDD, my “d” is being recalcitrant.

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm

He know real estate. That’s what he knows.

srdem65 February 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

What are they afraid that MrSantorum might do; go to church every Sunday, give Grace before eating, pray for guidence?
The liberal hedonists who have no saving grace or values are uncomfortable with those who do.
Those who speak loudest about abortion know that they’re killing children so they cover their pro-choice decision with a “women’s rights” blanket.

If anyone in America should pray for guidence, follow the Ten Commandments and be of high moral ethics, it should be the POTUS.

Girly1 February 21, 2012 at 11:49 am

Barack Obama is doing hand stands!

Car in February 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Sure he is. WIth unemployment going North, gas reaching $5 a gallon, and the middle east imploding with violence …

I think he should talk more about reducing our military while Iran is upping their game.

That should work really well for him. Three years of “extending his hand so they could unclench their fist” …how’s that working out?

Honestly, Obama is so bad at his job, it’s just amazing and pathetic that ANYONE would vote for him.

Star February 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Never underestimate a populace impressed with a guy who comes equipped with his own laurel wreath and cardboard columns.

Car in February 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm

True. And viewed “Hope and Change” as a plan for America.

Star February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

Geo Bush used to intimate that God actually whispered in his ear and he got elected, so I guess this could happen…Now if we could just get Obama to get on a sailboard or whatever that thing was that Kerry wafted around on.

BJay February 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

A delightful post. Thank you so much.

Susan February 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Applause…applause!!! Thank you Keith for this excellent article calling out the hypocrisy of the political class. We need to discuss our country’s moral decline, the attacks on traditional values and our churches, as well as the state of economy because all of these issues are intertwined and are the basis of our constitutional republic.

“We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.” ~John Adams

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for showing us that quote, Susan, I had never seen it. Much of what Santorum says would not sound foreign to the Founding Fathers’ ears.

Redwine February 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Excellent observation, Keith. I particularly enjoyed your comment, “These kinds of people are unelectable, they say. Until they are elected.”

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Thanks.

Pastor emeritus Nathan Bickel February 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

The mainstream media quickly ignore the reality of Obama’s Muslim commitment. Hence, the smokescreen to vilify Santorum:

Jeff February 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Santorum= real
Obama=Dhimmitude can only be understood in the context of jihad, because it originates from this ideology. Infidels who submit without fighting to the Islamic armies, are granted a pledge of security. They are protected from the jihad laws against infidels which command killing, slavery, ransom or deportation for the enemies. Peace and security for non-Muslims are recognised only after their submission. Protection status is provided through the Islamization of conquered lands.

10 Quotes By Barack Obama About Islam

#1 “Islam has always been part of America”

#2 “we will encourage more Americans to study in Muslim communities”

#3 “These rituals remind us of the principles that we hold in common, and Islam’s role in advancing justice, progress, tolerance, and the dignity of all human beings.”

#4 “America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.”

#5 “So I have known Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first revealed”

#6 “Ramadan is a celebration of a faith known for great diversity and racial equality”

#7 “As a young man, I worked in Chicago communities where many found dignity and peace in their Muslim faith.”

#8 “I look forward to hosting an Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan here at the White House later this week, and wish you a blessed month.”

#9 “That experience guides my conviction that partnership between America and Islam must be based on what Islam is, not what it isn’t. And I consider it part of my responsibility as president of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.”

#10 “I also know that Islam has always been a part of America’s story.”

10 Quotes By Barack Obama About Christianity

#1 “Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation”

#2 “We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation.”

#3 “Which passages of scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is OK and that eating shellfish is an abomination? Or we could go with Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith?”

#4 “Even those who claim the Bible’s inerrancy make distinctions between Scriptural edicts, sensing that some passages – the Ten Commandments, say, or a belief in Christ’s divinity – are central to Christian faith, while others are more culturally specific and may be modified to accommodate modern life.”

#5 “The American people intuitively understand this, which is why the majority of Catholics practice birth control and some of those opposed to gay marriage nevertheless are opposed to a Constitutional amendment to ban it. Religious leadership need not accept such wisdom in counseling their flocks, but they should recognize this wisdom in their politics.”

#6 From Obama’s book, The Audacity of Hope: “I am not willing to have the state deny American citizens a civil union that confers equivalent rights on such basic matters as hospital visitation or health insurance coverage simply because the people they love are of the same sex—nor am I willing to accept a reading of the Bible that considers an obscure line in Romans to be more defining of Christianity than the Sermon on the Mount.”

#7 “I find it hard to believe that my God would consign four-fifths of the world to hell. I can’t imagine that my God would allow some little Hindu kid in India who never interacts with the Christian faith to somehow burn for all eternity. That’s just not part of my religious makeup.”

#8 “Those opposed to abortion cannot simply invoke God’s will–they have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths.”

#9 On his support for civil unions for gay couples: “If people find that controversial then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount.”

#10 “I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people.

Susan February 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Maybe the Santorum aide who had a slip of the tongue regarding “Obama’s radical Islamic policies” should have withheld her apology.

RWC February 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

LOL. Nice twist Keith.

allahobama February 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm

You’re a moron. Not one thing you stated Santorum said is bad in any way.

Star February 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

..and you are rude and did not convince me of anything.

Jeff February 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm

cough…. TROLL ALERT

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I admit to being a moron, but I think you missed the point.

Charles Curran February 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

How bad would it have to get before ‘Barry O’ will just declare a National Emergency’? Call out the troups and just take over? This a Marxist who will not go queitly. Be prepared for the worst in the next 6 months.

Janice/Granny Jan February 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Great job at pointing out hypocrisy. I started reading it to my husband and said to him you know where he is going?

MaryOhSoContrary February 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I have posted this comment several times before…here on WHD and a couple other sites I visit, but about 20-21 years ago there was a knock on our front door…it was a candidate collecting signatures to get on the ballot. My husband was a registered Republican, he signed. A few months later that SAME MAN came thru our neighborhood again…this time asking for our votes in the general election. It was Rick Santorum. He was the same then as he is now. I haven’t agreed with him on everything (but then who do you agree with 100%?) but he has been absolutely CONSISTENT in his stands on the issues. He is what he appears to be…not a fake.

One more thing, and I am repeating myself again, but the FIRST I ever heard or read of “jihad” was years pre 9-11 and it was explained by Congressman Santorum in a Congressional mailing–and that point–his brutal, nonPC stance on the Islamic threat is what REALLY SCARES the powers that be.

Lastly…and this is funny and I AM going to do this…I am a registered Democrat and I live in Santorum’s congressional district. I, and thousands of other Dims received a “what can YOU tell us about Rick Santorum” from some PAC email addy. I’m going to write back “you should hear what they preach in that man’s church. The vile contempt they have for this country…oh wait. Never mind…that was Obama’s church.”

Susan February 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm

What a great testimonial. How refreshing to see a politician who not only talks the talk, but he walks the walk.

Great idea about the request for dirt on Santorum. Would sure like to know the name of the PAC that sent you that email.

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for letting us know about this, Mary. Very interesting.

Star February 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

What would be wrong with a president who knows right from wrong, keeps marriage vows, wants people to be educated and productive, keeps big corporations from exploiting people, and keeps the country perking and our enemies guessing or at bay–but does not intimate that we need to be married, need to go to church or worship someplace, should not take steps to plan a family, should disdain gays or at least give them offhand recognition, or stay at home with our children if we can be effective childrearing and working for the good of society or the family’s financial well-being? Why get into the latter–that is not the govt’s bailiwick–any more than it’s the govt’s business how big a candy bar is or if a vending machine contains mushy apples.

David Kramer February 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm

By his fruits you shall know him.

Obama in his entire career only stuck his neck out once. What might you ask did he do it for? Oh, he pushed against a law to outlaw killing babies outside the womb.

Yeah, he is as Christian as Abaddon.

MT for re-redistribution February 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Why can’t one of these bozos just say (and mean) “Yeah I’m a christian, and proud of it. But there is a real need to seperate religion from governing. I fully expect to find the need to make occasional decisions that might contradict christian opinion, for the sake of the country.”

Instead, it’s all some sort of beauty contest… We’re hosed.

P. Diddy February 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I would love a link to the transcript wherever it lives so I can yank the chain of some of my more dimbulb rabid libtard friends on Facebook.

Susan February 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm
cindylouwho February 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Keith are you endorsing Santorum? I hope so!

and/or do you do endorsements?

Keith Koffler February 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’m not going to do an endorsement. This really is a news and opinion site devoted to accountability, not to pushing forward anyone’s agenda or candidacy.

giatny February 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I fear the abject stupidity exhibited by the Republican Party since January has
already reelected Obama. I don’t care what the polls say Rick Santorum has
no national appeal. The country is NOT looking for a narrow-minded, sanctimonious,
unyielding Neanderthal without an original thought since 1955. The WH has
been popping champagne ever since Santorum emerged. Please will the tea
people stop torturing the country. Better yet, read Santorum’s voting record.
He is NOT a fiscal conservative.

Susan February 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Who are you to determine what this country needs? I have read Santorum’s voting record and, sure enough, it isn’t perfect. By the way none of us are perfect…including whoever your candidate happens to be.