Obama Loved His Neighbor Less Than Himself

by Keith Koffler on February 3, 2012, 9:18 am

We were on the receiving end Thursday of a fusillade of frothy Biblical rhetoric from President Obama, who dusted off all the old warhorses during the National Prayer Breakfast: “for unto whom much is given, much shall be required” and  “love thy neighbor as thyself” and “I am my brother’s keeper” and don’t forget “the biblical call to care for the least of these.” The president lectured us about the urgency of making these the foundation of public policy.

Obama milked this for all he was worth, relating how he gets up and prays every morning, how these principles guide his life, and blah blah blah.

So I suppose it was just AN OVERSIGHT that THE OBAMAS DONATED ONLY ONE PERCENT OF THE INCOME TO CHARITY from 2000-2004.

Obama briefing room

Sure I love my neighbor, but within reason.
Photo by Keith Koffler

Because that’s not quite enough to keep my brother. If “much shall be required,” well, ONE PERCENT IS NOT MUCH.

These weren’t exactly lean years. According to previous reports you may remember, the Obamas earned $1.2 million from 200-2004, parting with a mere $10,772 for the least of these.

If this is loving thy neighbor, then I’m glad I wasn’t the poor guy living next to the Obamas.

It appears, though, that the Obamas got religion on charity, shall we say, once it occurred to him to run for president. For the 2005 tax year – which he would have filed in early 2006, when he was surely thinking hard about making a run – the Obamas suddenly decided that “much more shall be required.” They began donating about five percent of their income, which was vastly increased by his book sales, to charity.

I’ve been a reporter for 17 years. In that time, I’ve learned something about politicians.

I beg you. BEG YOU BEG YOU BEG YOU. When a politician gets really high on their high horse about something, turn the volume down to zero.

They’re just politicians.

Swedish lady February 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

Great article. So revealing. His religious hypocrisy is astonishing.

pianogirl88 February 3, 2012 at 9:37 am

Doesn’t Obama have a half-brother living in sub-standard housing somewhere in Kenya who gets by on about $1 per month?

Just2old February 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

What a dishonest hypocrite this man is. I wonder in which direction he prays to each morning?

Just2old February 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks Keith, the volume is turned off!

Florida Girl February 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

Sick to death of the hypocrisy and lies coming out of this White House. The constant push to see these people as perfect and all-knowing has gotten a bit old. I am just sick of being TOLD how I should worship my Heavenly Father, how I should eat, how I should pay my mortgage, how I should pay for someone else’s contraceptive care…… I could list many more, but I am just sick of this whole administration.

Mike C February 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Let’s see. I am 56 years old. I cannot recall ANY President who was CONSTANTLY in front of a camera as much as this donkey. Just hearing his voice makes me dive for the remote. And to top it off, I had a dream where his ugly face got in it somehow, I guess it was a nightmare actually. Thank Goodness I woke up and had not died in my sleep and gone to hell.

ImNoDhimmi February 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm

An Obama-mare. You poor man!

Lizzy February 3, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yesterday’s sermon on the mount was beyond belief….really. If he was this
religious he would attend church more often than he does. We see more of
Haley’s Comet than him going to church add that to his war on the Catholic
church this man is truly a vile piece of work!

Steve February 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

It’s so funny how before he said that his “faith” guided his decisions, but that his “faith” would not get in the way of the law. Now, he is saying something completely different–that he is bound by his faith when governing. So which is it?

Every religion on earth says homosexual marriage is wrong–and Obama supports it. Every religion on earth says abortion is wrong—and Obama defends it.

Phony, through and through. I knew he was an empty suit from the very first time he came onto the scene here in Illinois years ago.

Susan February 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

Great article Keith and good advice. As the great Thomas Sowell said “Idealism in words is not idealism in deeds.”

DeniseVB February 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

The Obamas are really hitting hard on every demographic. Unfortunately, the uninformed voters will support him based on sound bytes and printed quotes. If only the media would hit back even harder on the hypocrisy that the Obamas only care about themselves.

The Original February 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

I know people who make much less than the present occupiers of OUR White House who give more than the Obamas. I can tell you that when he lectures about something like this . . . I completely tune him out. It probably would help Obama if he actually understood some theology and the actual meaning behind the stuff he spouts.

ArnoldLayne February 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

A stark contrast with the Bushes.
…as the bumper sticker says “Miss Me Yet?”

rawheadrex February 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Read “Who Really Cares” by Arthur C. Brooks, who admits surprise at what his extensive research revealed and it isn’t that liberals are generous. Liberals always love the poor with other people’s money.

Ross Davis February 3, 2012 at 10:43 am

The President chose to use a spiritual event as a forum for his political ambitions. Anyone who can read can “talk the talk”, but I have yet to see this man “walk the walk.” If he were truly a spiritual individual, he would not be as divisive as he is in his attacks on people with whom he has differences of opinions. He is using religion for his own political gain. The Devil is dancing in Hell today!

Robin H February 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

It’s so easy to read words that are written for you without ever really considering them. I’m sure 20 minutes after he gave that speech he would not be able to recall any of it. Nothing that this man says comes from the heart, because that would be too ugly for us to see.

Star February 3, 2012 at 10:53 am

When you “dust off a warhorse” are you “currying” favor? Love it!

srdem65 February 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

While the MSM, right and left, are all over MrRomney for his remarks about the “poor”, MrObama has told us that he cares about the “middle class” without a mention of the “poor”. Every one of MrO’s policies or proposed
legislation is directed to benefit, not the poor, but the middle class. The poor do not belong to the trades unions or teach children and those are the very intended recipients of any government spending in the last 3 years.

The poor are not concerned with MrO’s new morgage proposals because they do not have underwater mortgages, they live in Section8 housing.
The poor don’t care one way or another about Obamacare because they have food stamps and Medicaide to help them.

The point is that Americans are generous to and mindful of our poor. MrO’s newly found religious fervor for the least of us only shows that he doesn’t understand America or Americans. His skewed beliefs are the result of his leftwing upbringing and outside the actual intentions of the people he governs.

Sarah Wheeler February 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

Jesus was not asking the government to be charitable. He was asking individuals to be.

William February 3, 2012 at 11:07 am

Can someone please tell me the chapter and verse that says, “I am my brother’s keeper”? I keep looking and looking and can’t find it anywhere.

lise February 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

Sacra Bibbia (Diodati 1607)/Vecchio Testamento/Genesi/capitolo 4

Susan February 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Jesus never said those words William. Ironically, similar words were used by Cain after he had murdered his brother Abel.

“And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?” Genesis 4:9

the slob February 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

First he tells us we are not a Christian Nation then the next minute he’s quote scriptures to us. Me so confused.

Girly1 February 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

Meanwhile, we continue to support his deadbeat illegal alien relatives, Aunt Ziti and Uncle whatshisname’ (the drunk)
while he and his tribe lavish themselves with a lifestyle befitting Royalty on taxpayer $$$!

Jesus does not suffer hypocrites lightly!

BTW, do we have any video of Obama ‘falling to his knees’ in prayer?

He sickens me!

Pastor emeritus Nathan Bickel February 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

As usual, Obama is all talk and no do:

If our unconstitutional (non natural born citizen) so-called “president” (genuinely) loved his neighbor as Christ commanded, then he would not act in the manner he has:

“The President of the United States: A Sex Offender? – Why Obama’s support of the abortion industry is the worst molestation of youth:”

Douglas Reed February 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I would remind the President that the Biblical standard for giving is a MINIMUM of 10% (the tithe), not 5% and does not include offerings above that.

MaryOhSoContrary February 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Day Two removed from the deliverance e of Buh-Rock’s Epistle to the Washingtonians…still checking USGS for that well deserved seismic “oh no you don’t” from the Big Guy (no, not Soros).

cassandra February 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Now I understand what they mean by the “one percenters”!!

Tammy E. Price February 5, 2012 at 6:59 am

Hello fellow Christian. How much did you give to the Christian cause? No really? Our President is trying hard to do more. Critics are easily found, “workers are few”, or so the Holy Bible says. His service to his country has to count for something, right? How about his marriage and his family? He is loyal and FAITHFUL to his wife! While we are on that topic, HOW much money did Newt Gingrich give to Christian charities? I already know about just how faithful he is!

Susan February 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

Christianity is not all about charitable giving. Ever wonder why your president endorses late term abortion?

Josee February 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

He’s his brothers keeper! Well, that poor guy lives in a hut. If that’s how Obama treats family, look what’s he’s going to do to the USA!

Brett February 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

With Obama so eaten up with all this new-found Zeal, I can’t wait to see him in his Talit.