Obama Whistles Past the Graveyard

by Keith Koffler on January 25, 2012, 12:33 pm

This is the truth. The transcript of President Obama’s State of the Union speech sent out by the White House last might ended up in my junk email box.

It really did.

It appears that my spam filter is working.

At a moment in history when Big Ideas are absolutely necessary, Obama came up with list of petty grievances and small adjustments.

The world has become a very dangerous place for the United States. And that’s the way it will stay for the next year, at least.

At a time when the budget deficit threatens to bring the whole house of cards tumbling to the table, Obama was talking about buying more windmills. With the economy still fragile, Obama wants to raise taxes and fund new spending programs.

I’m sorry, investments.

Instead of proposing a massive entitlement reform plan that could save us, Obama wants to keep gouging relative pittances out of discretionary spending budgets.

Of course, he’s running for reelection this year, and doesn’t want to lose senior-rich Florida or Pennsylvania. Actually, there are old people in every state, his political advisers have advised him.

The president hardly mentioned foreign policy, even though existential threats lurk there.

China is building its military at a fanatical pace. Obama’s answer? Investigate China’s unfair trade practices.

More immediately, Iran may be no more than a year away from a nuclear weapon. The solution has to come from Obama. And so here’s what he said:

Let there be no doubt:  America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal.

This statement, vigorously spoken, is actually perfectly Chamberlainesque. Let me sit in for Mr. Favreau for a moment and rewrite it:

Let there be no doubt:  America will prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal.

I added merely one word and subtracted three. But see the difference?

I’m sure they do in Tehran. They indeed have no doubt: Obama will not take military action against them. His careful words belie his forceful phrasing.

Because taking military action would just wreck everything. We might not be able to pay for the windmills.

anneinarkansas January 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm

The side by side comparisons of the last three 8th grade level SOTU speeches is a must see.
That $2,000 plus dress did not make her look any better….she towered over those on either side of her.

Lizzy January 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I’m growing very weary of being talked to like a 8th grader fact being
Obama acts like a petulant teanager not a leader of any kind.
He is so incredibly inept that it is dangerous in foreign policy and uses the military as props instead of the only group of men and women who
have the courage to,keep us safe not Obama who IMO is a bit cowardly.
And stop tilting at windmills green energy may be green but it is breaking the bank that’s you and me! How much money is going to
throw down a black hole for a vote! I am a pit peeved today.

Sharon January 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I did not listen to the whole speech…can’t stand the arrogance and the repetitive rhetoric. Did catch a few things in the followup analysis. He talked about utilizing all energy sources…although he just turned down the Keystone pipeline, obviously to save the votes from the environmentalists. He talks jobs, but denies the projects, or gives China the contracts to build bridges and solar panels. Trade is not really important at this time when we are definitely on the brink of war, totally unprepared with no money and no friends. Few countries, if any, respect him, and that is not surprising. Nuclear weapons are a given, not a maybe. China and Iran are making sure they are prepared, as are Russia, Cuba, and Venezuela. Obama totally ignores that fact, does not explain his strategy because he has none. It is empty air and no one is intimidated by him. He talks of everyone doing their fair share…well, he might start with doing his, stop spending, vacationing, and acting like he’s a celebrity. He doesn’t lead like a president should, he waffles around the same old problems, solving none, and is egotistical enough to suppose he has the people fooled again. I don’t think so this time…we cannot tolerate any more misguided leadership, war mongering, and wasteful spending. Spam it is…the media will have to find another audience for their cheerleading. I personally refuse to even consider listening to anything he has to say…nothing’s been done, and it will remain the same if he is re-elected.

DeniseVB January 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I remember the days when the SOTU was something the whole country looked forward to. It was uplifting, uniting and when it was over, you knew the whole country was fine.

This was a partisan campaign speech given by Mrs.Middle School’s “pet” student. The political props in the “guest” seats were living campaign ads to woo his base. Michelle looked like she was at a cocktail party and we know she likes to be noticed ! And boy, was she. Within in minutes of the conclusion, AP had it’s fact checks up, which were just about everything that came out of Obama’s mouth.

Just wonder how much the networks lost in revenue…..again ? 65 minutes in prime time is worth millions. I watched Joan and Melissa while following Stephen Green’s Vodkapundit *live* Drunkblog. I had a good night :)

Lizzy January 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Remember the address Bush gave after 9-11 truth but there was such
pride and resolve. He also said such great things about our country and
all of us made me proud. Also when he stood on that mound with the firefighter and said those who did this would here from us and did!
We don’t have a leader like that now love or hate Bush he kept us safe
because he would follow up militarily but those that wish to harm us now must just laugh.

Sadie January 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Obama’s SOTU addresses are a caustic blend of SEIU and STFU.

Lizzy January 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Have we all noticed how much smarter we posting here are? So much wiser
than the child with the nuclear football and the one to answer that 3am call if
he was not campaigning, golfing, vacationing or whatever he does during the day when his schedule is on a post-it? What does he do? Note to Obama
stop talking down to Americanswe are not pleased!

DeniseVB January 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I think we’re just better informed and why we don’t fall for the soundbytes Obama’s directing at his base. They still want to believe in rainbows and unicorns :( Remember, 47% of his approval are on gov’t assistance and only 53% of us pay taxes.

I so support the Fair Tax right now.

MT for re-redistribution January 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm

To all who think everyone must ‘pay their fair share’: Zero is not a fair share. Neither is a negative number.

Brenda A. January 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Keith, I was driving and only heard the beginning of the speech. It sounded like the applause was tepid when the President entered the room. Did anyone else notice that? Also, did you think the beginning of the speech was odd? Not much of an intro – just straight into killing bin Laden and withdrawal from Iraq. It appeared he was so anxious to say that he’d REALLY accomplished something.

Sorry, couldn’t watch/listen to the rest when I got home. It makes me angry and frustrated to listen to empty words.

srdem65 January 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

It wasn’t a SOTU speech, it was a campaign speech and not a very good one, either. He didn’t give any reason for America to re-elect him, or even give us any reason to applaud what he’s accomplished. Knowing that all of his signature legislation is reviled by the majority, that his wasteful Stimulus spending produced nothing of value, and the bail-outs of the banks and auto companies didn’t provide the expected results left MrO with nothing to say but platitudes.

.MrO is not a statesman or a competent politician; he’s a front man who lets others set the agenda and do the work. If the shadow government supports the crippling and shaming of our country, we can only stop them one way and that’s to elect anyone but Obama.

Star January 25, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I got a press release from the Navajo Nation saying they want to be sure the 27 tribal colleges are in with the community college deal…everyone has an issue… Reading up on this opus now, it does seem to be fiddling in the margins…and it’s supposedly “paid for” by ending the wars? Hasn’t that “peace dividend” been counted in someplace else?

Star January 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

For once and for all–it’s not a zero-sum game–if a guy gets rich, that doesn’t make me poorer…

MT for re-redistribution January 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m glad someone else notices that. Like there is a finite amount of wealth and a few are keeping it from the rest. Grow the f up!

Mike Lester January 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

From the STOP ME IF YOU’VE HEARD IT BEFORE DEPT.: A charismatic leader tells scared, underemployed, struggling populace that their plight is the fault of “the wealthy few” and the time has come to fight and make them pay. *

*paraphrasing Stilton Jarlsberg

Star January 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Stilton Jarlsburg–cheese du plume?

girly1 January 25, 2012 at 3:06 pm

SOTU speech registers on 8th Grade level, lol!! Makes sense to me – that’s why he spends all of his time loitering on school yards!

Worse yet, was his delivery! – Too painful for words….I would rather be waterboarded than listen to him! Who’s the new drama coach? Names, please. Bill Clinton must be rolling on the floor in laughter!

Star January 25, 2012 at 3:11 pm

You mean I have to watch more than 10 seconds now? You are so mean!

Actually, I write at the 6th grade level–even for physicians, this seems most effective…ask anyone…

Wigglesworth January 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I don’t watch or listen to his speeches anymore because it’s the same rhetoric every time.

Star January 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Literally the same–THE FIVE just played a Republican ad–side by side SOTUs from 2010-2011-2012…same words on issue after issue.

Star January 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Speaking of big things…No new case of polio reported in India…they went after this disease (had it when I was 4 with minimal residual)…Melinda Gates among many others went door to door with the vaccine–and now it’s eradicated… Big things can happen! Maybe not here…

Star January 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Also another thread, but I don’t have the patience to wait for it to switch page down…so…Cavuto was just interviewing someone who called Obama a money-grubbing golddigger and Cavuto jumped in with no, no, that is probably going too far. This channel is changing like we said it was.

Susan January 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Something’s going on with people I once thought were hard core conservative. Always thought Neil Cavuto was kind of a Tea Party guy, but his responses make me think he’s more establishment. At least he doesn’t tear into Newt Gingrich like Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter did this morning. Cancelled my GBTV subscription after Beck said he would go 3rd party if Gingrich won the nomination. Today I listened to his radio show for the last time. I understand Ann is for Romney, but their scorched earth campaign against any of our candidates was outrageous. Ann actually called South Carolina voters the “mob” from the book she’s hawking. I’m part of the anybody but Obama club. Heck, I’d even vote for Ron Paul if he won, although I pray he doesn’t.

Star January 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

These talking heads were told to tone it down–bet ya anything.

Star January 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I never ate Sargento cheese again after they boycotted Beck–now he’s no good? I can’t keep up…

Susan January 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’m not speaking for anyone else other than myself. I watched his show on Fox from day one and can’t thank him enough for all he taught me. For him to say he’s going to go 3rd party, which is tantamount to re-electing Obama, is unacceptable and I will no longer support him.

James Walker January 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

It is a comment on the relative failure of Obama’s first term that he fails to offer any real plan for addressing our national debt and deficit spending, fails to offer any hope of reforming Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid so as to preserve them for current beneficiaries while saving the safety net for future generations and fails to address Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Russia or China with any genuine hope of identifying and protecting American interests abroad. He fails to mention Obamacare or the Stimulus or the bailouts as any source of claimed accomplishment, and yet these are his primary legislative endeavors. He says nothing about his plan for curtailing zero percent interest rates and the ongoing devaluation of our currency – including any warning at all about the possible loss of the dollar as the international reserve currency and what this would mean to the middle class, along with every other American that buys anything like gas and groceries. It is hard to conclude that American is in anything other than the calm before the storm. We can only hope that American voters turn out the dependency inducing fraud that now Occupies Pennsylvania Avenue.