Obama Uses State of the Union to Raise Cash

by Keith Koffler on January 25, 2012, 7:45 am

If there was any question whether President Obama’s State of the Union address was actually a prettied up campaign speech, Obama himself answered it with an email to supporters just before his appearance asking them to contribute to his campaign.

The email, titled “Before I speak,” was sent by “Barack Obama” through the campaign email system and signed, “Barack.” Here’s the full text:

I’m heading to Capitol Hill soon to deliver my third State of the Union address.

Before I go, I want to say thanks for everything you’re doing.

Tonight, we set the tone for the year ahead. I’m going to lay out in concrete terms the path we need to take as a country if we want an economy that works for everyone and rewards hard work and responsibility.

I’m glad to know you’ll be standing with me up there.

Barack

—–

Support President Obama. Make a donation today.

The last sentence in the email includes a link that brings recipients to a page where they can make their donation.

Also telling is Obama’s remark that the speech will “set the tone for the year ahead.” When you say to your political supporters that you are setting “a tone,” it seems a pretty clear reference to a campaign theme, not a list of serious proposals that might pass Congress and help the economy.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

CAR January 25, 2012 at 8:09 am

I did not watch the so-called SOTU address, however, I am now pumped up to defeat B.O. by getting the truth out. I’m 50-plus and this has been the worst president and administration I have seen and sadly, most people don’t seem to realize it…yet.

girly1 January 25, 2012 at 8:10 am

Presidential panhandling…it never stops! The tin hat (p)resident with the tin cup – disgusting!

veritaseequitas January 25, 2012 at 8:37 am

Funny. Maybe if he gives out a pencil with his name on it for each donation, he will get more money from these foolish people.

Susan January 25, 2012 at 10:17 am

Looks like we have us one of them tinpot dictators in office.

ol gator January 25, 2012 at 8:36 am

Amother “gutsy” call from the man who still waffles over the homosexual
marriage issue..
what a weasel this dinglebarry is !

Swedish lady January 25, 2012 at 8:46 am

Keith, excellent that you call attention to this shameless campaigning disguised as something else. He abuses the presidency.

ol gator January 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Sorry but, this smells worse than “lutfiskt”

Knothead January 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

Mr. President,
Sorry I didn’t watch or hear your rhetorical speech. But I can tell you that things will not return to America to be built until you convince labor unions that we can’t build a toy @ $40 a hour that sells for $5. High labor costs and regulations are the real killer.

Great post Keith.

Just2old January 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

He and his ilk will do anything to stay in power. He’s a prostitute.

QueenOfScott January 25, 2012 at 10:27 am

Prostitute – that fits Obama’s behavior very well.

Janna January 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

Prostitutes actually provide a service for their pay. This POS does not.

srdem65 January 25, 2012 at 10:02 am

“rewards hard work and responsibility” is a strange phrase. He also used that phrase in his speech last night when the topic was “fairness”.
It could just be a hint to the middle class that he will see that they’re “rewarded” by the government in some manner The upper class could see the hypocrisy of a President who doesn’t want to “reward” them, but punish them by raising the tax rate on their income.

Trying to make sense of the speech is akin to deciphering the Rosetta stone. There’s no way to tell if he’s speaking platitudes or if there is a hidden meaning that will result in some action.

Every e-mail from the Obama campaign asks for money and that’s OK. What isn’t OK is when the e-mail pretends that it comes from MrO’s computer and he’s personally asking for help.

Star January 25, 2012 at 10:38 am

You mean the cutesy “Barack” sign off? Why not a Bibi-like nickname–”Racky” or something? Your bud, your pal–send money.

I turned to the speech sometimes in the what–3 hrs? (kidding) All I had to see was the pinchy fingers, the “my Republican friends”…and click.

The WashPost amazingly had a fairly mean fact-check.

Anonna January 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

“rewards hard work and responsibility”

I thought this was odd, too. I guess he feels he has the government-check crowd, Welfare, etc., in his pocket, so he’s going to pretend to like the middle class now?

nelly January 25, 2012 at 10:05 am

Mark Levin read this thing on his radio show yesterday afternoon and commented that this was a first–a president using the State of the Union speech to shill for campaign cash. . .

Susan January 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

Yep, he’s historic all right.

ArnoldLayne January 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

I agree with all the disparaging remarks so far.
But I also see the call for higher tax rates on ‘millionaires’ [or in the next reference, 'billionaires', like they are interchangeable] is a winner in the election. Repubs should propose to eliminate the AMT on ‘less than millionaires’, and impose it @ sliding to 35% for those over. So in the case of Romney, he pays 15% on his investment income, but has to come up with another 15% to meet AMT. Just a thought…

Star January 25, 2012 at 10:42 am

Speaking of Romney, our Gannett paper was pretty slanted–gave his “wealth” lead position–headline said he was in the 1%. Well, the way I read it, at $1.7 million (some say $7 million now), and $3 million, so are Obama and Newt…see how the spin works…it is so aggravating.

Just2old January 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

Star, this is from IRS stats:

Based on the Internal Revenue Service’s 2010 database below, here’s how much the top Americans make:

Top 1%: $380,354

Top 5%: $159,619

Top 10%: $113,799

Top 25%: $67,280

Top 50%: >$33,048

Star January 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks–yes, all are one-percenters.

Morten In Illinois January 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

I can’t stand to watch/listen any more. I’m done. Watched reruns of Storage Wars.

Star January 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

Pretty deadly. Of course, I watched Andy Cohen on Watch What Happens, but it was only the second silliest show…

girly1 January 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

After watching this carnival barker for three years, he still looks and sounds like the odd man out! He looks like the guy who was looking for the mens’ room and wandered into the wrong room. He will NEVER be presidential material – he will always be the accidental president! Unfortunately, it’s looking like he will do it again – by default (sigh)!

Shofar January 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

From the Weekly Standard: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/havent-we-heard_618462.html

Seems that the 2012 is nothing more than a rehash of ’10 and ’11. He once spoke of how the economy was in a ditch, seems that his speech writers are in a rut. This clap-trap didn’t fly well the past three years, why the heck does he just keep using the same points over and over.

Oh, wait I forgot. The left hasn’t had an original idea since . . .okay I need help here, when was the last time the left had an original idea?

MT for re-redistribution January 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

left: um, how about if we tax the rich?

Lizzy January 25, 2012 at 11:34 am

Well HRH could raffle off her new frock and pin from last night. The pin cost
$475 made out of Lucite and the new dress they run between $2-$5 grand!
She would eat a $100 steak in front of a starving child. We don’t have a
functioning President just a man with his hand out obscene.

MFS January 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Perhaps replace the Presidential seal by a “Donate button”?

Star January 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Or a panic button.

Lizzy January 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Or the EASY button on TV:)

Sadie January 26, 2012 at 2:29 am

Or the delete button on the keyboard.

MT for re-redistribution January 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

uhhhhh, when has this useless waste of matter EVER proposed or done anything that “… rewards hard work and responsibility”? Quite the opposite.

JAMES FISKE January 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

HE NEEDS THE MONEY AND IF ANYONE IS STUPID ENOUGH TO SUPPORT HIM AGAIN….THEN THEY DESERVE WHAT WE GOT AND WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE PAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN …..! BUT THEN ALL PARTIES DO IT AND THERE IS WAY TO MUCH MONEY SPENT ON ELECTIONS ESPECIALLY THE PAC’S WHO GIVES THEM SHELTER FROM PUBLIC IDENTIFICATION. ALL CORP MONEY SHOULD BE BANDED……IT CANCEL OUT MY SINGLE VOTE AND AMOUNT I AM ALLOWED TO DONATE IF IF WERE TO DO SO!!!.

JAMES FISKE January 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

FURTHER…….I AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS EMAIL WHICH HE SENT AND I GOT ONE MUST BE IN CONFLECT WITH THE AIR TIME “EQUIAL TIME RULE”

spike59 January 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

i keep getting these stupid messages…to which i invariably reply “resign, you socialist jacka$$” or “quit making a mockery of the office and resign”…then i get an e-mail thanking me for contacting them, to which i reply, ‘stfu, you dullards’…this goes on for hours…perhaps i should report myself to “ATTACK WATCH!”