Obama’s Fashion Friends Underperform

by Keith Koffler on January 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

What better way to show you are  a man of the people than to have ritzy fashion designers make some junk for you and then sell it on the website at inflated prices?

Some of the designs from the Obama campaign “Runway to Win” project are already up on the web. You can’t purchase them until February, but you can pre-order.

Some of these designers don’t, you know, seem to have put a lot of effort into their work. Maybe they’re closet Republicans.

Okay, I wouldn’t go that far.

Anyway, I think you’ll agree, most are headed straight for eBay the day after Election Day, Obama win or Obama lose.

Let’s start with this Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez shirt. It’s actually a little nauseating. Especially at $45.

Look at this. Its by Grace Tsao-Wu and Laura Kofoid. It looks like one of my kids pasted a sticker on my wife’s . . . what is this anyway? It’s $85.

This bag by Tory Burch is seems to have been made intentionally grating. I’m sure he’s working for Romney. $75

This is by Marc Jacobs. Really, this took a designer to do? Priced at $45.

This piece by Beyonce and Tina Knowles is not bad. But you have to look closely to see it has anything to do with Obama. Cost you $45

Not clear that this $55 shirt by Jason Wu has anything to do with Obama. Is there a sparrow running for some local office?

And these bags by Diane Von Furstenberg I do like. They cost $85.

Lizzy January 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm

These look to be done by grade school kids in summer craft camp:-)

DeniseVB January 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

MOTUS is our friend ;) And oh so snarkilicious….

Susan January 13, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Keith is very snarky in his descriptions, but MOTUS made me laugh out loud with her blog post…

QueenOfScott January 14, 2012 at 11:24 am

The link won’t load…..

DeniseVB January 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

It just worked for me. Try again :)

QueenOfScott January 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm

My bad – I got it to work. :)

Susan January 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Wonder how long before those very expensive t-shirt designs make their debut at the local booking station…

anneinarkansas January 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

My thoughts exactly.

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

Or on the First Lady…there goes my other eye!

EOSRedux January 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Psst: It’s Tory Burch, a she.

As an aside, and totally unscientifically, I have seen so FEW Obama 2012 car bumper stickers. They duplicated like rabbits in 2008. Today, the ones I do see are leftovers from the day, usually on a Prius. To be fair, on the Republican side, I’ve only see Ron Paul stickers. I live in NY so granted I won’t see too many Republican stickers in the first place, but I thought it more telling how few new Obama ones are being displayed.

Lizzy January 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I see left over 2008 stickers on expensive cars but no new ones. Hardly
any yard signs last time as we drove into wealthier neighborhoods they
were all over so maybe they are to embarrassed to claim him?:)

Janna January 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Maybe the 1% will like them ?

Rod January 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Nothing says “a fool and his money are soon parted” than anything resembling Obama 2012 gear.

girly1 January 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I think the Jason Wu birdie shirt is for tweeters, Keith. IMO, all of these overpriced duds are for the birds!

William January 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I could drink a bottle of whiskey and come up with better stuff than this. That one with the bird is simply confusing as hell.

Lizzy January 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’m sure we just don’t understand the hidden meaning the ‘artist’ was
expressing:-)

Mr. Pink January 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

eBay?

I seriously doubt the Salvation Army would even accept this “O” apparel as a donation if one tried.

Sort of like muffin stumps… this “O” 2012 merchandise is going to be very difficult to get rid of!

gobnait January 14, 2012 at 12:23 am

Always love a Seinfeld reference! We dyed-in-the-wool fans know there’s one for every occasion! :)

Lizzy January 14, 2012 at 1:55 am

Obama would be the perfect guy for a puffy shirt don’t you think?

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

Pleae baby please–I can just SEE it!

Shofar January 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

“Is there a sparrow running for some local office?” No, but we do have a chicken sh!t in the WH.

Sorry, my bad! We might be monitored by DHS, and I wouldn’t want to upset their tiny little minds.

srdem65 January 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Location, location; I won’t be seeing any of these cheesy items in my heavily Repub, Mormon influenced, ultra-conservative neighborhood here in Arizona.

Lizzy January 14, 2012 at 1:56 am

Lucky you:)

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

One of the few lucky AZ things…sadly.

QueenOfScott January 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

“You too can waste a lot of hard earn money and look foolish while dressing like an mindless Obot!”

Justavet January 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I don’t believe stylizing the American Flag is appropriate, nor fashionable. The sparrow is about the closest thing I think of Obama…..that he is a bird brain. All in all, a group of items that shout you can fool some of the people all the time.

Susan January 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Keith, Are you taking bets on how many of these products were Made in the USA? Takes a lot of chutzpah to parade in front of some “insourcing” round table, if he imports his campaign paraphernalia from China.

I’ll keep buying Rush Limbaugh’s Two if by Tea products. They are all produced in America.

Keith Koffler January 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Susan, that’s a very good question. I’d like to find out where all the campaign junk is manufactured.

William January 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

They’re made in the same place Pres. Obama was born.

DeniseVB January 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

Click on the product at the link and it takes you to a description page. The few I checked said made in the USA. Oh, and a handy list of designers to boycott :D

Funny thought, most of those designers only appeal to the 1% wallets, right? Dumb marketing move on their part.

Lizzy January 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

These are MO’s favorite designers those who put her in those fabulous
dresses she wears expensive and ugly!

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 13, 2012 at 9:23 pm

We should all pray for the President:   http://www.pray4barackobama.com

Sadie January 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Maybe his supporters will wear this dreck here…

(CNS News) – The Obama campaign’s under-40 organizing arm, Generation 44, is hosting a dance party on Jan. 18 to raise funds for the president’s reelection campaign.

The party, held at Boston dance club The Goodlife, will charge $20 per ticket and feature local Boston performer DJ MR McNeill.

Billed as “A Dance Party for Obama” the event is a 21-and-over event and will run from 7-ll PM.

To RSVP for the event, prospective participants are taken to an Obama donation page where they are prompted to buy tickets via credit card, or make a donation without buying a ticket.

Susan January 13, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Is Obama going to attend this dance party? If he is, betcha he won’t be granting any photos for a measly $20 entry fee. Of course they could charge for photos with a life-sized cardboard figure of him to go along with his cardboard cutout smile…

Swedish lady January 14, 2012 at 9:57 am

I apologize Sadie, I didn´t see that you had already written about this dance party.

Sadie January 14, 2012 at 10:28 am

Swedish lady – no apology needed. I found the dance party info at Weasel Zippers as well. Everytime I see the name of the website, I think of Bill Clinton (UGH).

Granny Jan/Janice January 13, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I can’t wait for these “designs” to show up on People from Walmart.

A.Men January 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

The People of walmart have more class than to wear expensive cheap junk of Moochelle and Obammy President-In-Name-Only.

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

Yeah–we shop at Walmart…

AZ Granny January 13, 2012 at 10:14 pm

At first I thought the Jason Wu shirt was the bluebird of happiness, but it looks a little too angry. It also made me think of the song “Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow” or Baretta’s theme. LOL

cheryl January 13, 2012 at 10:14 pm

The artistic ability or lack thereof isn’t the point – this is a perfect example of Obama’s lack of class and sophistication – pathetic and desperate.

rulierose January 13, 2012 at 11:33 pm

design-wise: ick. that’s about it.

btw Keith, I think you meant TORI Burch, not Tony Burch. Tori is a fashion designer. Tony, I dunno.

Mr. T. January 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I live in a very liberal area, but saw the best bumper sticker on my street recently…it’s got the familiar colors and Barry’s Warhol-like image, but underneath his picture instead of “Hope” it says “Nope!”

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

Like.

Swedish lady January 14, 2012 at 4:23 am

About cheapening the presidency. I read ( Weasel Zipper) that the Obama campaign is hosting a dance party on January 18 to raise money for Obamas reelection. TV shows, merchandise, dance parties, entertainment, entertainment.The Obamas look like low class celebrities who do anything for money.

girly1 January 14, 2012 at 7:09 am

They turned the WH into BET headquarters! It’s sickening!!!

Bitter Clinger January 14, 2012 at 8:04 am

Here’s what I find fascinating: There are NO Obama/Biden 2012 bumper stickers, only OBAMA 2012 bumper stickers and those are rare. Me thinks The Won planning to jettison Old Joe for PIAPS at the convention this summer and doesn’t want to confuse his peeps.

Knothead January 14, 2012 at 8:28 am

If the masses want a tee-shirt praising their leader, all one needs to do is obtain a white tee-shirt plus a black magic marker. Then draw a big ZERO on the front and presto you got a shirt with the real message.

A.Men January 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

Crap. Goodwill wouldn’t have these disasters. Obama will lose by a landslide.

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

If you want vent your frustrations in a more constructive fashion, consider this: http://www.Pray4BarackObama.com

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:11 am

We saw that–I guess people can if they wish.

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 14, 2012 at 11:38 am

Yes, if they wish.

It is said that evangelical Christians are a major voting block.

For them prayer is not optional.

1 Timothy 2: 1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, http://www.Pray4BarackObama.com

Star January 14, 2012 at 11:56 am

I consider prayer part of an integrated marketing plan…one part.

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

By Integrated Marketing Plan I assume you mean an integrated plan to effect some sort of specific outcome, of which prayer is one part. I like that! Social Media is now all the rage. How about Socially Responsible Prayer? That is why I think that the Prayer Blog (PLOG) could be the next wave of social media during the upcoming election cycle.

Prayer that is guaranteed to get the right result, every time, without fail!

Romans 8: 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Let us pray! http://www.Pray4BarackObama.com

Star January 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Are you trying to berate me, scorn me? I really don’t need scripture thrown at me, but maybe others are more amenable. By integrated, I mean my goal is that this admin leaves office and we get a new start to try to save this nation. I pray for the wisdom to get the best result–it may not even be removal of the admin, I don’t know. But I also integrate many hours of study, informing myself, writing, talking, speaking, and trying to influence the outcome as I see it.

Star January 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Also–I am not sure how this call to prayer fits in with the merchandising thread.

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

This blog is “dedicated to preserving freedom by holding the White House to account” but this thread seems to be dedicated to White House bashing. I merely left a comment or two. I do appreciate your replies and the discussion that followed. http://www.Pray4BarackObama.com

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I am most certainly NOT trying to berate or scorn. On the contrary! And your meaning for the word “integrated” is exactly what I thought. The desired outcome is a change in Washington. I get that. I loathe all things Obama. I was tired of the Obama Administration before he was ever sworn into office. However, I have only recently begun to grow tired of the endless bashing, and I was merely trying to suggest that perhaps our words could be put to better use. Lately, even the Republican candidates have begun to bash each other in a way that is truly amazing. I am trying to influence the culture as well. That is all.

Star January 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I don’t bash–we mock, we skewer, we make fun–we think this is a service. I put my communication skills to many uses–including a blog on how to survive in this economy, one on health, one on patgient aftercare, and several others. To each his own. I agree on the Republicans eating their young. Very foolish. Stick around and see if you can have a few laughs and put in a comment or two.

Lizzy January 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

How can this be those shirts have sleeves? Guess for Obama’s non-toned
arm lemmings poor dears:(

Brenda January 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

I will no longer buy from these designers…. oops my bad, got carried away there for a moment. Ross and Target here I come.

Star January 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

I would not buy this crap if I had money and could stand the candidate! I do have a DIVA shirt I am pretty fond of.

DeniseVB January 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Yikes, comments #32, but I can only see #8 ? I had to sign in again, so maybe that’s the problem…. this is a test comment ;)

DV January 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Guess that I’ve just knocked them off of my shopping list.

QueenOfScott January 14, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I got to get on the ball and order me some under-inspired, overpriced, super kewl Obot re-election wear…must be trendy and hip!

Quintis Arrius January 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Cheesy as an adjective,seems to fall short in describing this.

Star January 15, 2012 at 11:17 am

It’s a start, though….

Floyd DaBarber January 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

So the following companies are ok with being boycotted by the 50+ % of the country that despises Obama.

OK, I can live with that. Maybe the welfare cheats and union do-nothings will buy them instead.

BOYCOTT THESE VENDORS

SEAN JOHN
PRABAL GURUNG
MONIQUE PÉAN
RUSSELL SIMMONS
ALEXANDER WANG
VERA WANG

There have to be consequences.

DeniseVB January 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I already don’t support those designers because I can’t afford to :) What a waste of celebrity. Couldn’t they direct such an effort to more worthy causes?

Phillip Stuckemeyer January 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I will definately not be sporting any ObamaWear!