Obama Goes Shopping for His Kids at Best Buy

by Keith Koffler on December 21, 2011, 2:44 pm

President Barack Obama, a multimillionaire with millions more to be earned following his presidency, went Christmas present shopping for Malia and Sasha today at Best Buy.

Obama rode out of the White House midday for an unscheduled trip to the Washington suburbs, landing first at another discount store – a Pet Smart – where he bought something for his dog Bo. Then he went to Best Buy, and then he picked up some pizza.

Obama’s “average Joe” shopping show follows a trip by Michelle Obama to Target a couple of months back, where an Associated Press photographer mysteriously appeared and took photos of her checking out at the counter like a regular gal.

The president had the entire White House press pool in tow, as he always does.

Obama let the middle class veneer slip just a bit though by paying for Bo’s items with a $50 bill.

From the pool report:

Presidential motorcade left a soggy South Lawn at 12:45 p.m. for shopping and lunch amidst the legislative chaos. Fourteen minutes later the motorcade arrived at Potomac Yards in Alexandria, where the President headed into the Pet Smart store. By the time the pool was allowed in a shirtsleeved POTUS was at a checkout counter with Bo, who appeared to be sizing up a small brown “standard poodle” named Cinnamon, according to the dog’s owner.

“Okay, Bo, don’t get too personal here,” POTUS admonished, holding tightly to Bo’s leash. He pulled out a $50 bill to pay for two items, one a large dog bone. Total was slightly more than $41.

After a quick stroll POTUS entered the nearby Best Buy at 1:10 p.m. “This (stop) for the girls now,” he said as he went in.

After a round of handshaking he headed straight to the Wii section, where he bought a Just Dance game for his daughters. (It might have been a Just Dance 3 since there was a big yellow 3 below the words)

“The girls beat me every time on these dance games,” he said, “but you’ll never get a picture of me (playing) because I get graded F every time.”

He also bought a pair of $50 iTunes gift cards and an unidentified game. Tab came to $194.48. “Let’s see if my credit card still works,” he said. It did.

After more grip-and-grins outside, motorcade left at 1:21 p.m. Nine minutes later, POTUS arrived via side streets at intersection of East Del Ray and Mount Vernon to pick up some pies at the Del Ray Pizzeria. More handshakes, a little sports banter…

Pool ushered out. Minutes later POTUS emerged with three large pizzas. Then he worked the crowd on all four corners of the intersection plus a fifth cluster of squealing well-wishers a bit further down Del Ray.

Motorcade including Bo rolling at 1:48, arriving South Lawn 2:05 p.m.

And – POTUS dutifully ignored all efforts by poolers to engage him on the payroll tax imbroglio.

DeniseVB December 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Sigh. We get it Mr. President, you’re just like us. Though we usually have to find our own parking spaces, stand in check out lines and leave our camera crews at home. :D

AFVET December 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Not yet,…I want to see video of him cleaning up BO’s poop.

Chas December 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm

He really must think most americans are mindless fools, and are impressed by this show of, “I am just like you”. What a fool.

MarjoJimbo December 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

What is sad, Chas, is that I believe many really DO believe he just a regular guy.

AFVET December 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm

What ? was the pizza chef from St.Louis tied up ?
Out of business ?

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:48 am

Also–don’t tell–but they have this deal now where pizza is delivered by a guy in a car.

cheryl December 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

He’s such a kidder.

Mrs Compton December 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I couldn’t afford anything for my dogs this year, let alone something that cost 41 bucks. If I spend that kind of money on them it’s for medications.

Star December 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Little secret. My dog doesn’t know from Christmas.

Sadie December 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm

That was funny.

Shofar December 22, 2011 at 7:31 am

One of my ex-wives always insisted on having a Christmas tree (all three have been shiksas) and one year, one of my dogs decided that since we had a tree inside the house, he needed to “mark his territory,” if you know what I mean.

Soaked the lower half of the tree and about half the presents. Last year she insisted on a tree!

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

Now THAT’s funny! You always bring it, Shofar.

Shofar December 22, 2011 at 11:56 am

Somehow the ex didn’t think it was funny, and the dog ended up spending the rest of the holidays outside in the kennel. Come to think of it, I ended up spending a lot of that holiday in the kennel.

Star December 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm

The woman had no sense of the absurd.

CindyLou December 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Mr Everyman ? What’s next happy meals at mcdonald’s and a trip to the skeet shooting range?

Rick December 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Just imagine if he HAD left for Hawaii on time. Bo, Moo and the kids would still have gotten their gifts from similar stores in Hawaii but that pizza place would have been without his economic stimulus. Thank you, Consumer in Chief!

anneinarkansas December 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Hypocrite!

cheryl December 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

“And – POTUS dutifully ignored all efforts by poolers to engage him on the payroll tax imbroglio”

Oh, I think Drudge reported he placed a phone call to Boehner admonishing him for not working hard enough.

walker_77 December 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

did they “pre-screen” all the shoppers in the stores before Obama showed up? because you would not want any lowly citizens asking Obama a real question about his terrible so-called leadership.

srdem65 December 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

We’ve read reports from legitimate news outlets that the Obamas do NOT exchange Christmas gifts or birthday gifts. MrsO has been reported as saying that they make recipients of any gifts “perform” some act before they can open their gift.

IMO, he was not buying Christmas gifts, he was just doing some shopping.
Like all sitting POTUS’ do.

Shofar December 22, 2011 at 7:38 am

Srdem,
In some ways that is very disturbing. “Gifts” are something that come from the heart, no matter what the occasion. To think that, in order to get your gift, you need to “perform” something, to me, shows a certain level of pettiness or being a control freak.

I hate to see what these girls are going to be like when they grow up. They will end up as one of the “meany girls” we all knew in high school. The ones that always looked down at you because you didn’t have the latest style or treated their boyfriends like crap if they didn’t jump through their psychologically deranged games.

Star December 22, 2011 at 11:02 am

I am not condemning the kids–they may still beat it… My parents were…eccentric, shall we say, and look at me… OK, bad example…

Lizzy December 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm

He is as phony as they come! Pet Smart and Best Buy. I know kids who aren’t getting gifts at all and $41 on a dog how about donating in the dog and
girls name to a food pantry to teach them about REALITY! Never happen.
MO and the girls toured an organic farm in Hawaii. Most American’s can’t
afford to buy organic it’s far to costly but they just toured the farm. Oh Lord
let them be gone in 2012 and the little dog too!

SnarkEsq. December 22, 2011 at 7:42 am

This is how much of an out of touch elitist BHO is – while going on this b.s. photo opp to show he’s just like us, he buys a dog chew toy for $24.99. What a joke! (Total bill: $41 for two items).

One one hand The White House prompts Americans to tweet their sad stories about what a hardship $40 a paycheck is if the tax cut isn’t extended and what they would buy with that money. But, on the other hand, this PO(TU)S blows $41 on two items for his dog.

Are they really this stupid? Or do they just think most Americans are that stupid?

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

The second.

DeniseVB December 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Just when you think Team WTF2012 can’t get anymore bizzarro, here’s a handy guide on how to talk up Obama with your family over the holidays:

langley barfly December 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

that is disturbing… Obama propaganda for “family gatherings”

SnarkEsq. December 22, 2011 at 7:44 am

That is unbelievable! Talking points for the holidays. This stuff is really scary.

Anonna December 22, 2011 at 10:07 am

Can you imagine all the good cheer that will be spread as the result of young Obots studying this guide and chirping up at the family dinner?

Star December 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

We find it’s better not to discuss–the flying food, the screaming, you know…

Susan December 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Does Bo have a body double? Supposedly, neighbors have seen him walking the streets in Hawaii as well…

QueenOfScott December 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Curiouser and curiouser…smoke and mirrors.

langley barfly December 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I wonder if they really will take Bo…? or just leave him at the White House.

srdem65 December 21, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Wasn’t it reported in the Hawaiian newspaper that MO, the daughters and Bo, the dog, had arrived? Good catch, S.

srdem65 December 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm

cite:
Hawai’i Magazine. com

Mr. Pink December 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Doggie-gate?

The Honolulu Star Advertiser reported that Bo arrived with the First Family on the 17th.

First lady arrives with daughters and dog:

Darrel December 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

Bo probably flew home on AF 2 for the photo op at a round trip cost of $500,000.

nelly December 21, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Since that poor dog is only a photo op prop, they probably have several so that they can have one available when and where needed.

Star December 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Like the Lassies! That must be it.

Star December 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Dogsbody–like Reg was.

cindylu December 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm

curiouser and curiouser

Rod December 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Ubama is Mr. Average, just not in the way he wants that definition to be. In fact, at best, he’s an average President (more likely 4th from the bottom, not 4th from the top). Uttering his own name in the same breath as Lincoln is downright disgraceful and delusional.

Average intelligence, average personality, average golf game, less than average work ethic, above average huckster.

Whoisjohngalt December 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thank you Rod. I seriously agree. No doubts for me at this point, we elected Mr. Average. (Mr. Obama cleared this up today)

Mr. Pink December 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Back in Hawaii Michelle was spotting grazing yesterday at the MaʻO Organic Farms.

Although as I understand there are no official events scheduled for her “private” family vacation she still has time to promote her let’s MOOve campaign.

Apparently no expense was spared this year, with Senior Policy Advisor for Healthy Food Initiatives Sam Kass also being included on the flight manifest of WH staff coming to Hawaii.

Hawaii Vacation: Michelle Obama Brings Daughters, Sam Kass To MaʻO Organic Farms:

Anonna December 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Busy girl, our MoochMORE. Guess she had to fly separately to keep this very important appointment at the garden. Gee, and I thought it was just because she’s a selfish, classless Michelle Antoinette.

FromMissouri2 December 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

No, she flew separately because there are weight limits that even 747′s have to adhere to….

Susan December 22, 2011 at 8:50 am

MaʻO Organic Farms? As in Mao Tse-tung? These people sure do love their murderous genocidal dictators.

Laurie December 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Well, isn’t he special.

Rod December 21, 2011 at 5:29 pm

No, he’s not. That’s the problem. We should have a President that isn’t equal parts pedestrian and bitter. We can, and will, do better than these two clowns next November.

Sadie December 21, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Who’s he kidding – $41.00 for a ‘Bo’ bone. Mooch will gnaw that down in no time flat.

cheryl December 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

“The girls beat me every time on these dance games,” he said, “but you’ll never get a picture of me (playing) because I get graded F every time.”

This is yet another of Obama’s freudian comments – like when he said “we need to dig ourselves out of a hole.” Who digs out of a hole?

Knothead December 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Funny

langley barfly December 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I still want to see Barack Hussein Obama’s “grades” from Columbia and Harvard Law…

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

Not for his dancing, either.

Knothead December 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

What a nitwit. He could have went to Wally World and spent half as much, just like the rest of the masses.

cheryl December 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

absolutely!

Cooper December 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Then the bastard would end up on the People of Wal-mart website where he belongs.

SandraC December 22, 2011 at 12:14 am

“three large pizzas”…..
Do you suppose he ate them all himself?!!!!

It’s interesting that he fails “dancing with the girls”: We know he throws like a girl and bikes like a girl and then there’s those ‘mom’ pants he likes….

Ohhh the sights we have seen. No wonder I have baby cataracts!

Robin December 22, 2011 at 12:15 am

And once again no consideration for the little people who have to be swept out of the store a few days before Christmas just so he can pretend to be one of us. I just can’t stand it anymore.

SnarkEsq. December 22, 2011 at 7:50 am

That’s exactly what I was thinking! PetSmart, Best Buy, pizza – how many people had to be inconvenienced and delayed when they were trying to get some shopping done four days before Christmas, just because this PO(TU)S needed a photo opp?

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

It would have been ironical if he went to Little Caesar’s…wah…I never get my irony when I need it.

Darrel December 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

“Let’s see if my credit card still works,” he said.

He wasn’t sure since he has paid for NOTHING for three years now, instead using taxpayer money for EVERYTHING, to include 4 MILLION DOLLAR vacations for the Mooch.

Darrel December 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

Great post!

Star December 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

Usually I don’t comment on the excess “flesh,” having much myself, but Sen Sensenbrenner recently said she had a large posterior and the Fluffpo is alllll fluffed.

SaveUsGod December 22, 2011 at 10:51 am

My dad NEVER had time to go shopping for Christmas presents because he was always working but OUR president has the time. What does that tell you?!!

Whoisjohngalt December 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

PS: Nothing for the Wifey? I hear Tiffany’s will offer lines of credit for most of us ‘folks.’

Star December 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Now you’ve done it–Zayre’s is next. Now that we know the card works.

LOL December 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

LOL I like how people get mad… How is this a f#$@^ing news story? Who cares he bought some stuff…

Star December 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

No shot too cheap…we are not proud.

mandinka December 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm

February 17, 2012

FEDERAL EMPLOYEE APPRECIATION DAY

February 17, 2012 has been designated Federal Employee Appreciation Day, a day for Federal Employees to voice their disgust with their government. On February 17, 2012 Federal Employees are encouraged to take the day off to enjoy a four day weekend and send a message to Congress, the White House, and the American people to reflect on the underappreciated work of the Federal employee.

My name is Mandinka and I approve this message.

insurance company ratings July 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and
I hope you write again soon!