Obama Invokes Christ at Christmas Tree Lighting

by Keith Koffler on December 2, 2011, 9:26 am

President Obama junked secular humanism Thursday and offered up by far the most overtly religious Christmas Tree Lighting remarks of his presidency, mentioning God and Christ for the first time during the annual ceremony and stressing Christian rather than “universal” themes.

While it’s possible Obama, who almost never attends church, has had some kind of religious awakening, the remarks are consistent with recent attempts by the president to appeal to white working class voters, many of whom are regular churchgoers.

Obama last month hosted a country music event at the White House and also dispatched Michelle to serve as Grand Marshal at a NASCAR race, though the move backfired when she was booed. And in what appeared to be an event staged to get media attention, she was also photographed on September 29 by an AP photographer at a Target, where middle America shops.

Working class white voters comprise crucial voting blocs in swing states Obama desperately wants to win, like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia, Florida and Missouri.

In his remarks Thursday, Obama practically took to the pulpit, citing Christ by name twice and God four times.

Christ’s birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar.  He was a manifestation of God’s love for us.  And He grew up to become a leader with a servant’s heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful:  that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves.

That teaching has come to encircle the globe.  It has endured for generations.  And today, it lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans.  No matter who we are, or where we come from, or how we worship, it’s a message that can unite all of us on this holiday season.

So long as the gifts and the parties are happening, it’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season, and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds . . .

God bless you all, and may God bless the United States of America.

Last year, Obama’s remarks were devoid of religious imagery.

Each year we’ve come together to celebrate a story that has endured for two millennia.  It’s a story that’s dear to Michelle and me as Christians, but it’s a message that’s universal:  A child was born far from home to spread a simple message of love and redemption to every human being around the world.

In 2009, he portrayed Christianity as a “tradition” whose message could be embraced by all.

While this story may be a Christian one, its lesson is universal.  It speaks to the hope we share as a people.  And it represents a tradition that we celebrate as a country –- a tradition that has come to represent more than any one holiday or religion, but a season of brotherhood and generosity to our fellow citizens.

Recent reporting suggests that the Obama campaign has largely ceded the working class white vote to the Republicans and will focus instead on minimizing its losses with the group, which went heavily for Republicans in the 2010 midterm elections. Nevertheless, the Christmas Tree Lighting remarks and other events suggest Obama will make a serious play to salvage as much of the demographic as he can.

Scullman December 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

When you’re at 43%, you’ll invoke anyone and anything, including the Lord himself.

What’s next, The White House Advent calendar?

ArnoldLayne December 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

LOL, thanks for that!

CindyLou December 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm

LOL x2 – so true

Just2old December 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

Everything he does is politically motivated. Believe nothing he says.

Star December 2, 2011 at 10:02 am

Yeah–calculated. I can’t see it as anything else. Still, I am sure Jesus does not mind. Is it true, by the way, that the First Fam does not exchange gifts?

AZ Granny December 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

Obama disparaged people for “clinging to their religion” but now he wants their votes? It really offends me that he would use God as a prop. What a shallow, pitiful man.

anneinarkansas December 2, 2011 at 10:14 am

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
Obama is not sincere in anything he says.

Susan December 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. ~ Mark Twain

AZ Granny December 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

Was Christmas 2009 the year they almost didn’t display the traditional creche in the East room?

Just2old December 2, 2011 at 11:04 am

No, they did end up displaying it….but there was discussion that year about not displaying it to signify their “reaching out to all religions”. But, in the end, tradition won out and the Creche was displayed in the East Room.

Lizzy December 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

I am so angry at this constant pandering done by both Obama’s it’s insulting
and really ticks me off! He does it for votes he wouldn’t give the time of day to
anyone who doesn’t think he’s the second coming. I find especially troubling
at this time of year besides last night show some of the trees in the WH have
military decorations nd some with pictures of soldiers I hate to be a cynic but if
this wasn’t an election year would we be using Mao instead? Sorry I hate to
see Christmas used for votes as well as money by anyone.

Janice/Granny Jan December 2, 2011 at 10:54 am
Just2old December 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Craven panderers = awesome!!

Lizzy December 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

can we get a bumper sticker ?

EOSRedux December 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

This is such a great post and I love that you took the time to dig up his words from years past. Thanks!

Obama is orchestrating his campaign like a ventriloquist does his dummies. He speaks but the words are really from someone else (can you say Plouffe?), not from the heart and I don’t understand why more people don’t see right through him.

BTW, did you read that the house on Martha’s Vineyard that The Obama’s rent every year has been sold to Blue Sky MV LTD, a real estate investment corporation. Since no individual identities can be revealed, I surmise Barack and Michelle are the names behind the LTD and they are pre-preparing for their One And Done term, taking the kids and mom to retire on the Vineyard! Hey, you never know!

Janice/Granny Jan December 2, 2011 at 11:37 am

Blue Sky MV LTD was formed in October 2011. I’m sure sleuths will be on the case. It will be intersting to see if there is a connection.

As a Mass resident, I can say we don’t need anymore moonbat residents. It looks like Joe Kennedy III might run for Barney’s seat even though he’s never lived in the district.

EOSRedux December 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

I lived on the Vineyard myself in the 1970s. I know what you mean about moonbats!! And I did not know that about Joe running. Can’t the Kennedy’s give it up? Or maybe Joe is just wanting to take a dip in the waters of Chappaquiddick for old times sake!

cheryl December 2, 2011 at 11:00 am

Like that’s going to save him now. He’ll try anything at this point.

wmp December 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Nothing to add – they really will do or say anything to try and get votes. Dispicable.

GotFreedom December 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

His Muslim fore-fathers must be spinning in their graves (taking a break from their 42 virgins to stop and say, “he said what”–how dare he!!!) Anything to get a vote!!!

Not to mention–the way MO/WH decorations are embracing the Military (if only we could believe that is was a genuine embrace) this year–what a sham and a shame–everyone knows how much these 2 detest our Military/country and yet they use them to, once again, to get votes.

Don’t get us wrong–we think the decorations honoring our military are great; it’s just that we know it’s all for show not for go with these people (can’t even call them Americans).

To our wonderful men and woman and their families who have given so much so that we can continue to express our thoughts in columns like this one–we are so sorry that you are being used by these 2 low life’s! Thank you for your service and sacrifice–Merry Christmas and my God Bless you all!

ArnoldLayne December 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

Hmmm… most liberal bloggers/ commentators/ comment posters are openly skeptical/ disdainful of the mythology of God, especially regarding Christianity. Remember, they are smart, well-educated, and the party of science [anthropogenic global warming, the beginning of a life, etc]- as opposed to ignorant ol’ openly- Christian GW Bush.
I will check around to look for criticism of Obummer’s faith in an invisible god and resurrected Christ. I don’t expect to find any though.

Susan December 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

Wouldn’t waste my time looking for any of the drones to recognize the double standard. If it weren’t for double standards, Obama wouldn’t have any standards at all.

Scullman December 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Ba-da-Bing.

Anonna December 2, 2011 at 11:55 am

Three years too late, BO.

He didn’t have trouble recognizing Ramadamadingdong as a religious festival — every year if I remember correctly.

And Michelle Antoinette in a demure dress, hose, and consorting with white children on camera — how desperate she must be to secure four more years of a private jet at her disposal for free.

Don’t bother looking up his Easter remarks, Keith. If I am correct, his first essay into this territory was criticized, so Mr. Suddely Heartfelt Christian hasn’t made any Easter remarks since.

I wonder what the Christmas message consists of at Rev. Wright’s church of racist hate?

Lizzy December 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I used to call it Ramalamadingdong started with a friend who lived in
Saudi for several years made lots of money but oh the restrictions.
Holiday trees not allowed or booze but there was a booming black
market:)

lc southern December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Just more political strategy…won’t work. To late and to many dollars taken from the American people.

girly1 December 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Every time the Hypocrite-in-Chief says “My Christian Faith” I wait for the styrofoam columns to come crashing down!

I have one question….Exactly what denomination is Jeremiah Wright’s Church of Black Liberation Theology?? Anyone?

Just2old December 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm

United Church of Christ

Shofar December 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

When you quoted what he said last year, “Each year we’ve come together to celebrate a story that has endured for two millennia. It’s a story that’s dear to Michelle and me as Christians, but it’s a message that’s universal: A child was born far from home to spread a simple message of love and redemption to every human being around the world.
“It’s a message that says no matter who we are or where we are from, no matter the pain we endure or the wrongs we face, we are called to love one another as brothers and as sisters.”

I thought it could read in his future autobiography as:

Each year we’ve come together to celebrate a story that has endured for over 50 years. It’s a story that’s dear to Michelle and me, but it’s a message that’s universal: I was born far from home to spread a simple message of spread the wealth to every human being around the world.
It’s a message that says no matter who we are or where we are from, no matter the pain we endured or the wrongs we faced, you are called to follow me, the anointed one, as union brothers and as sisters.

Aileen December 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

With due respect to others posting on this site and with due respect for their beliefs, I must say that as a Christian I don’t refer to Him as “Christ.” To me and to the Christians I know throughout the world, He is Jesus Christ – our Savior and Lord and the only Son of God. So, for me, the references to “Christ” are just more pandering.

GotFreedom December 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Excellent point Aileen–which goes to show that BHO doesn’t know what he’s talking about because he’s not a Christian (even though he tries to play one on television). You’d think by now, with all the gaffes he’s made over the past 3 yrs, someone on his staff would have caught this (and any other fax pas he’s spoken!)

langley barfly December 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I DARE!!! someone in the Obama “WH press corps” to mention the last time the ‘Obama family’ went to “Church” or a “Sunday Service”…?

What does Barack Hussein Obama “know” about “Christ”?
Look at his “life” or “back story”… last time I checked Obama never talked about “Christ”, he was always bragging about some mosque in Indonesia & that racist, anti-American church run by Jerimah Wright…

Lizzy December 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I don’t know but somebody’s going to turn to a pillar of salt before this is
over.

CindyLou December 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

LOLOL lizzy

Star December 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

LOL–yeah, it’s all fun and games until someone turns to salt…

gringo December 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Oh my, if I didn’t know better, I’d think there was an election coming up.

Knothead December 2, 2011 at 8:59 pm

My oh my, for a smoker his teeth are WHITE! He must have a great dental hygienist.

Huuf Arted December 3, 2011 at 1:44 am

Barfffffffffffffffff Everytime he speaks i throw up in my mouth a little…

Whoisjohngalt December 3, 2011 at 7:43 am

This is an outstanding post! Great comments all. But wait a minute… He told the Turks we weren’t a Christian nation in ’09. Besides bungling why Jesus Christ our lord savior, son of God was born, he used the incorrect “Michelle and me” Its Michelle and I.
And BTW he was born to attone for our Original Sin. Hard concept for a golfing Muslim to grasp.

Don December 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

Must be getting close to election time.

Tara M. December 3, 2011 at 11:49 am

I’m going to take a shot in the dark on his “Christian Homily.” It’a a campaign strategy.

Always On Watch December 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Obama is a hypocrite.

This citing of Christ is nothing more than political campaigning.

james-new-leaf December 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

You should be ashamed. How many of our Presidents have mentioned specifically Christian dogmas such as the atonment on occasions like this? And yet Obama has made clear in his chapter on “faith” in The Audacity of Hope and in his account of how he came to accept Jesus as his Savior (“who died for my sins”) in Dreams From My Father just how he feels about his Christian faith, and the chapter so named is especially candid.

Obama went out of his way to give his remarks both a Christian and a more inclusive aspect, and that is entirely appropriate for a President of our diverse nation.

I look forward to this President’s reelection and predict he will yet prove to be one of our nations greater Presidents.