Obama Raffle is Complete

by Keith Koffler on October 27, 2011, 9:47 pm

Well, the president was raffled off, and the lucky winners got their dinner tonight.

Good choice by the White House to have him take them to The Liberty Tavern. It’s not ritzy but not so downscale that it would seem an insult.

From one of tonight’s pool reports:

The president’s motorcade arrived at approximately 6:48 p.m. at The Liberty Tavern on Wilson Boulevard in the Clarendon section of Arlington,  Va.

It’s a pleasant cafe/restaurant, with a green-and-white neon sign outside and cobwebs decorating the windows for Halloween.

When the pool was ushered in, the president was upstairs, seated at a rectangular dark wood table with four supporters who won a campaign raffle contest to have dinner with him. The president was wearing slacks and a light-blue shirt with the cuffs rolled up.

They are:

Juanita Martinez, a retired teacher from Brighton, Colo.;

Wendi Smith, an artist and retired professor from Corydon, Ind.;

Ken Knight, a U.S. Postal worker from Chandler, Ariz.,;

Warren Buffett, investor from Omaha, Nebraska;

and Casey Helbling, an entrepreneur and small business owner from Minneapolis, Minn.

As the pool arrived, Mr. Knight was telling the president about himself, and could be heard saying something about Michael Jordan the basketball player, a reference at which the president smiled.

Wendi Smith could be heard telling the president that her town is in southern Indiana and was the first capital of the state, which seemed to surprise the president.

Pool was ushered out of the restaurant after about one minute. There were no other diners present and lots of staff.

Pool is holding in vans on the street.

Yes, come on, Buffett is a joke I threw in there.

rick golding October 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

You got me on that one! Although I could picture that.

Keith Koffler October 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Just a little concerned someone’s going to miss the disclaimer and run it in another publication!

Janice/Granny Jan October 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I just hope Warren picked up the tab.

Susan October 27, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Three union members and a software consultant who specializes in “web and mobile applications for progressive and forward thinking clients”. Guess none of us toothless hillbillies who cling to our guns and religion made the cut…

srdem65 October 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I wonder how these people were chosen…hmmmm.

William October 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

All of them. The Secret Service has had a background check and was vetted prior to this.

Susan October 28, 2011 at 10:18 am

Guess we taxpayers paid for the background checks that certainly cost more than the $3 raffle fee these “lucky” contestants paid…

Christine October 28, 2011 at 2:48 am

Wonder if he went for the wings and waffle entree again. How much were the raffle tickets by the way? $ 35k a piece, or its that only for private west coast party raffle tickets?

Robin H October 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

I hope they didn’t have to pay their own way, or did we pay for this? This is absolutely a DNC expense. Keith, could you find this out for us?

Russell October 28, 2011 at 7:48 am

No applause here, but yesterday I called it that the picture would show that Barry would be jacketless, sleeves rolled up, a big smile on his mug and holding a Guiness. I was right on 3 of 4.
So did the WH fly those individuals in from Colorado, Indiana & Arizona? If not, are you telling me that these folks would not only contibute $$$ and pay travel expenses to have wings with this guy?

Where was Michelle? Thought she would be there showing Paula Dean how to eat those wings.

Susan October 28, 2011 at 9:17 am

When I read about the rolled up shirt sleeves I thought the same thing. Good call Russell. Heard Michelle was on a fundraising mission in Florida…

Star October 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

I live in Chandler AZ and when I saw “postal worker,” I thought of mine–Anthony–boy was I going to give HIMN a hard time–but the so-called winner was not Anthony. Drat! This sounds excruciating…

Star October 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

More of a baffle than a raffle.