Obama Admits He’s Bullying McConnell and Boehner

by Keith Koffler on September 22, 2011, 4:29 pm

Well this is astonishing, though I’m not sure whether for its honesty or it chutzpah.

President Obama today said he is in fact visting the Brent-Spence Bridge, which connects Cincinnati to Covington, Kentucky., to put the screws on House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Here’s what he said a little while ago while standing on the Ohio side of the bridge in Cincinatti.

Part of the reason I came here is because Mr. Boehner and Mr. McConnell, those are the two most powerful Republicans in government. They can either kill this jobs bill or they can help pass this jobs bills.

And I know these men care about their states. They care about businesses. They care about workers here. I can’t — I can’t imagine that the speaker wants to represent a state where nearly one in four bridges are classified as “substandard.” One in four.

I know that when Senator McConnell visited the closed bridge in Kentucky, he said that “roads and bridges are not partisan in Washington.” That’s great. I know that Paul Ryan, the Republican in charge of the budget process, recently said that you can’t deny that “infrastructure does create jobs.” That’s what he said.

Well, if that’s the case, there’s no reason for Republicans in Congress to stand in the way of more construction projects. There’s no reason to stand in the way of more jobs.

Mr. Boehner, Mr. McConnell, help us rebuild this bridge.

I can’t remember a president making a supposedly non-political, taxpayer-funded trip to the home state or district of a Member of Congress in order to try to bully them.

The bridge, as I reported last week, has nothing to do with the American Jobs Act, which Obama is supposedly going there to promote. The bridge doesn’t need repairs and is going to be replaced, but not for a few years.

So this has everything to do with politics and with trying to attack Boehner and McConnell.

Obama knows you don’t build support and consensus behind a bill by bullying the people you’re trying to work with. Today’s appearance by Obama adds to the evidence that the American Jobs Act – which includes tax increases Obama knows Republicans will never accept – is a political land mine Obama hopes Republicans will step on by rejecting its provisions.

Then, he will blame the GOP for not helping him fix the economy.

Car in September 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for listening to him Keith, so I don’t have to.

CindyLou September 23, 2011 at 12:12 am

That’s for sure

William September 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So far, this grandstanding doesn’t seem to be helping him.

GPutt September 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

You’ve heard the saying “methinks he doth protest too much” …well I think Obama doth push this bill too much. The harder he pushes it, the more he bullies and coerces for it to be passsed, the more I think there must be something really bad about it. Hurry hurry hurry, pass it, pass it pass it.

Star September 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Saw him on the news standing by this bridge–they could have green screened it. Pretty stupid. Use the gas tax, the state roads program, however these things get fixed–and for the most part they do, and even without a lot duct tape.

Mike Lester September 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm
Lady Fingers September 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

He’s not a Class Warrior for the Middle Class………………

He’s the Class Idiot.

Susan September 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Oh no. I…I…I…I…I…I…think he’s gone off the deep end. He’s more rabble-rouser than warrior in my humble opinion.

JBH September 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Give a shout out? Who is he, Arsenio Hall or P. Diddy? Can he please speak like the President.

Star September 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

He was at some black group and the y’alls were flying like shrapnel. Can we talk about shrapnel? I forget.

Lady Fingers September 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm

The Emperor lost his clothes a long time ago,
He is now standing naked for all the World to see.
What a pathetic excuse for a POTUS, Barack Hussein Obama is.

Paulzo September 22, 2011 at 5:38 pm

He must really think that we’re dumb. Or, is it that he thinks the dumb people support him?

Either way, he’s a scary man.

srdem65 September 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm

The not-ready-for-prime-time JobsBill has proven to be a disaster for the WhiteHouse because it showcases a President who is running against Congress and not the Repub candidate(s). His own party was left out of the construction of this JobsBill and has indicated that they won’t support it either rusulting in a rare bi-partisan group think in Congress.

The mistake the WH political operatives make in reading the low numbers that Congress keeps getting in poll after poll is that the voters are wishing that Congress would do more, when the actual reading should be that the voters want Congress to spend less, make no more laws and just go home.

MrO’s pathetic attempt to embarrass the Repub leaders is going nowhere.
All the public is hearing from MrO is “spend more money, tax the rich so we can spend more money” and we’re not buying it anymore.

Boo September 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Keith – any way to check the facts on the “one in four bridges are classified as substandard” claim he made. Oh wait, he wouldn’t have said it if it weren’t true. “Nevermind” (h/t Rosanna Rosanna Danna)

Star September 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Emily Litella…but it fit.

GPutt September 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Mr. Obama sounds desperate to me. This bridge is old and it has been on the replace list for some time now…things like this move slowly but it was on the replace list before Obama even became president. I don’t see how it has anything to do with his Jobs Act or stimulus. Mr. O needs some new advisors..the advisors he has seem to keep letting him make a fool of himself.

ol' gator September 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

I love his ignorance, it makes it so much easier to kick em out !

BTW : I live in fla where you see lots of infrastructure work taking place.
And you’d have to be blind not to see these work crews dominated by scores of mexicans who cant speak english !
Sickening to see our tax $$ paying for this.

Janice/Granny Jan September 22, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Here’s the video you’ll never see on the MSM or anywhere else for that matter.
Obama working the crowd in Ohio.

The campaign always does these meet and greets because Obama is addicted to the adulation and can’t function for long without receiving some. Sick

Janice/Granny Jan September 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Another funny moment came when Obama was exaggerating the dangers of the bridge and one of his supporters who wasn’t clued in yelled out, “it’s safe to drive on.”

Susan September 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Too bad we the taxpayers get stuck with paying the freight for this vain demagogue to satisfy his addiction.

Lisa September 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Keith I love you!!! I needed a good laugh now and as soon as I started reading your last post I saw the report to attackwatch button!! How funny!!!
I live in Ohio and am really sick of Zero using my state for his political bullying. The guy gets more immature every single time he opens his mouth.

Sadie September 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm

And yet the “O” has no problem being a substandard president representing all 57 states. I can’t believe no one yelled, “JUMP.”

Janice/Granny Jan September 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Opps, he did it again and seeing the video is even worse than reading the transcript because he pauses while he tries to think of the correct word. He has said Intercontinental Railroad instead of the correct Transcontinental Railroad several times.

Now, we used to have the best infrastructure in the world here in America. We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad, the Interstate Highway System. (Applause.) We built the Hoover Dam. We built the Grand Central Station. (Applause.) So how can we now sit back and let China build the best railroads? And let Europe build the best highways? And have Singapore build a nicer airport? At a time when we’ve got millions of unemployed construction workers out there just ready to get on the job, ready to do the work to rebuilding America. (Applause.)

Susan September 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm

The Harvard trained lawyer probably doesn’t even know the difference between intercontinental and transcontinental. Was TOTUS off duty? That would be a first…

Janice/Granny Jan September 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

You guess it. TOTUS was MIA.
You can hear it @ 4:10

Star September 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Why not? Those will be nice when we go there. Are we in an Airport Cold War now?

Cooper September 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Truly shaneful that this is what passes for leadership from POTUS. Trying to box the Republicans by not supporting his bill, quite a few Dems won’t support it either. President Zero is more toxic for them.

girly1 September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

When does the behavior of this guttersniping ACORN thug reach the level of dereliction of duty – an impeachable offense??? The world economies are collapsing and he is standing on an effing bridge in Boehner’s home town – SHUCKIN’ ‘N JIVING’ for votes.

He needs to be removed from office ASAP – we won’t have a country left by next November! IMPEACH HIM NOW!!!

Robin September 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I saw another video of him standing at a podium wearing a suit saying the same “I’m a warrier” stuff. I can’t remember where I saw it, but it was just either today or yesterday. He’s recycling his same tired, worn out speeches.

Janice/Granny Jan September 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I believe he said it at the NY fundraiser.

CindyLou September 23, 2011 at 12:11 am

“Here’s what he said a little while ago while standing on the Ohio side of the bridge”

For some reason I find that hysterical

Star September 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

The bridge, as it is pointed out, belongs to Kentucky…but Ohio is shakier electionwise. All so …well…transparent.

Swedish lady September 23, 2011 at 3:18 am

Keith, this article enlightens us in the way Obama operates. No wonder it is so difficult for him to reach any agreements, to get people to cooperate. Well, it might be his ideas too.

CConHHI September 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What about Obama touting the “Intercontinental Railroad” built by the United States. That has to be the world’s best kept secret!

fU3Zq3 June 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

339614 931477Hello! I just now would like to supply a massive thumbs up for any great details you can have here within this post. We are coming back to your weblog post for further soon. 426931