Obama Compares Himself to Lincoln

by Keith Koffler on August 17, 2011, 10:00 am

Fresh from comparing himself to Martin Luther King, President Obama on his bus tour this week likened his beleaguered situation to that of Abraham Lincoln, suggesting Lincoln had incurred the same type of revulsion from his opponents that Obama gets from his own enemies today.

Actually, though it was tongue in cheek, Obama, who spoke during an appearance in Decorah, Iowa, grumbled that he has it worse.

But when you listen to what the Federalists said about the anti-Federalists and the names that Jefferson called Hamilton and back and forth — I mean, those guys were tough. Lincoln, they used to talk about him almost as bad as they talk about me.

Now, it’s true, he’s not comparing his achievements to those of Lincoln. But it takes a certain frame of mind, a certain presumptuousness and high self esteem, to put yourself in the same sentence with Lincoln.

Add to this the inaneness and irresponsibility of it. Lincoln’s critics were savaging him for his effort to save our very union, an effort for which one of those critics paid him back by taking his life.

Obama is on the receiving end, as unpleasant as it might be for him, of the standard, run of the mill vitriol launched toward a sitting president. George W. Bush had it much worse, far as I can tell, and whined about it far less frequently.

It’s hot in that there White House kitchen. If Obama could somehow grow a thicker skin, he’d sweat these things a lot less.

William August 17, 2011 at 10:16 am

“If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how—the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what’s said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.” — Abraham Lincoln

The things said about Pres. Lincoln were far worse than anything said about Pres. Obama. The difference is that Lincoln was a man and could handle it.

MT for re-redistribution August 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Ha ha, when I started reading it, I thought it was BO. I was thinking “Wow, sounds very grown-up for him”, then I saw it was Abe. My bad…

MT for re-redistribution August 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I meant “When I started reading the quote in your comment William…”

srdem65 August 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

MrO should get ready for some real critical assessments of his tenure and put his big-boy pants on. With the economy in the tank, his endless regulations and decrees, and 5 wars, all of which even his supporters have questioned, the Repubs don’t even have to hire a PR firm for their negative ads. The big, black, scary bus is a PR disaster for the Prez, as is his so-called offical listening tour of the Midwest and he’s taking heat for that, too.

There are those who believe that MrO is “dumb like a fox” and all of these negatives are a sinister Marxist plan to bring America to it’s knees, but I’m on the side that he is in over his head, the job is too big for him, and he doesn’t have a clue what to do next.

Just2old August 17, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’m with you srdem. You’d have to loan him a quarter to buy a clue!

William August 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

I don’t think his wife will let him wear those…

Just2old August 17, 2011 at 11:02 am

Donald Phillips writes that, “Abraham Lincoln was slandered, libeled, and hated perhaps more intensely than any other man to ever run for the nation’s highest office….He was publicly called just about every name imaginable by the press of the day, including grotesque baboon, a third-rate country lawyer who once split rails and now splits the Union, a coarse vulgar joker, a dictator, an ape, a buffoon, and others.” As his presidency went on, the criticism against him increased. Yet he accepted these insults with dignity and the self-confidence that comes from knowing yourself.
Since the current president enjoys comparing himself to Lincoln maybe he could learn a lesson or two from the man.

Susan August 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

Found this comparison on the internet and thought it was worth repeating…
1. Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration.
Obama used the same Bible.
2. Lincoln came from Illinois.
Obama comes from Illinois.
3. Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature.
Obama served in the Illinois Legislature.
4. Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President.
Obama had very little experience before becoming President.
5. Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration.
Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration.
6. Lincoln was a skinny lawyer.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
7. Lincoln was a Republican.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
8. Lincoln was in the United States military.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
9. Lincoln believed that everyone should carry their own weight.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
10. Lincoln did not waste taxpayers’ money on personal enjoyments.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
11. Lincoln was highly respected.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.
12. Lincoln was honest; so honest he was called Honest Abe.
Obama is a skinny lawyer.

William August 17, 2011 at 11:23 am

That’s awesome!

srdem65 August 17, 2011 at 11:24 am

Good find. lol.

Just2old August 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

Love it! Thanks for posting!

lc southern August 17, 2011 at 11:49 am

Love it!

William August 17, 2011 at 11:51 am

Also speaking of Lincoln, let’s examine what he had to deal with as compared to what the current president has to deal with. Read the story at the link below and tell me that Pres. Obama has it worse.

Susan August 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for the sober reminder William. Absolutely no comparison between the two. Lincoln was dealing with Indian uprisings and ineffective union generals. Obama’s biggest worry is about how he looks at the next photo op.

Just2old August 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Correct Susan. And the only reason Gen Pope was in MN was because Lincoln had relieved him after Lee spanked him at the 2nd battle of Manassass. Lincoln was still searching for an effective leader of his Army of the Potomac in 1862.

Lizzy August 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This man must be trying to break a record to see how many mental problems
he can muster. Delusional, narcisstic, delusions of grandeur, God complex.
Any many more and who will he be next? Guess it depends on where he is and what type of ‘folk’ he is addressing. OY

Harvey August 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

It’s an endless stream of comparisons, one-liners, and soundbites. He’s desperate for something that will take purchase. But I don’t think the “yes we can” crowd is going to show with such enthusiasm this time.

The hatred for Bush that drove people to the polls in such large numbers isn’t there anymore, and the lazy welfare-suckers will probably ride this one out while drinking malt liquor with stimulus money. Independents will be Obama’s downfall this time…

Gunther August 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Big difference…. people disliked Lincoln because he represented the USA, who was the enemy of the Confederacy. The dislike of Obama is his own doing, driven by his unbending socialist ideology. Unlike Lincoln’s situation, Obama’s is curable by listening to his people.

Doris March 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

There would be more truth if he compared him self to his Mother the Marxist and his father the drunken Socialist.

Now there with in lies the TRUTH, unknown word to barack and michelle.

Not interested in any remarks of denial.