Obama Meets with Giffords

by Keith Koffler on April 29, 2011, 5:24 pm

President Obama met with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) at Cape Canaveral this afternoon before meeting with the Shuttle Endeavour crew, who were supposed to lift off today but who have been grounded for at least 72 hours.

Giffords, who is recovering from a gunshot wound to the head, is the wife of Endeavour Commander Mark Kelly.

From the pool report:

Obama met with rep giffords before he met with the crew at nasa. This is information they provided us on background, which can be attributed to a white house official

Potus met with Rep. Giffords for approx 10 minutes before he came down to meet the full crew. Prior to going in to see her, Potus greeted Mark Kelly in a corridor. “I bet you were hoping to see a rocket launch today,” Mr. Kelly said. Replied Potus: “We were hoping to see you.” They shook hands and embraced. Mr. Kelly updated the President and First Lady on Rep. Giffords’ condition, and then they went down the corridor to see her.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 5:41 pm

They forgot to say that Pete Souza (Barack’s photag) tagged along. He even pushed a nurse out of the way to get a good shot.

Susan April 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Why else would he go on to Florida when he knew the shuttle flight had been postponed? Ten minute photo op with Gabby Giffords, hugs and kisses for her husband, and on to another photo op with the shuttle crew before the family jets back home.

Keith Koffler April 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm

How do you know? I want that.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I watched Souza try to push a Secret Service agent out of the way at the Lincoln Memorial. A nurse would be nothing in comparison.

Keith Koffler April 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I don’t doubt it. In the White House press corps there’s an unwritten rule that during and event photographers have the right to push all other reporters out of the way to get their shot. They turn into animals.

Mrs Compton April 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm

It was a secret service guy! I thought it extremely rude when I saw it on the video.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Ha, I wasn’t alone!

sportinlife10 April 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm

So did the First Groper hug anyone?

Maryb April 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I didn’t know Bill Clinton was there :)

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Happy day for Barack it seems. What’s causing the usual chesire cat grin in these circumstances?
A mini grope from the oh so compassionate won. Barack is a compulsive toucher beyond the usual politician’s. http://www.daylife.com/photo/09800s12Ji0u0?__site=daylife&q=obama

Mrs Compton April 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

It’s suppose to convey the message they’re just like us. Ew.

srdem65 April 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm

MsGiffords, along with the other victims of the crazy man shooter, should not be used for advancement of any political purpose or for a photo op.

Susan April 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Have you heard Laura Ingraham’s interview with Harry Alford, CEO of the National Black Chamber of Commerce? Drudge is linking to the RCP clip. Whoa, the guy doesn’t hold anything back.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm
Susan April 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Totally forgot about that incident. Isn’t it ironic that he says the only reason he voted for Obama was because he was black?

Mrs Compton April 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Yeah, I hope all of those, including the white guilt folks remember that each and every time they go to the grocery store and buy gas. Dumbasses, the next time someone says they’re voting for someone cause of their looks I’m gonna bitch-slap em.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Yes, but he was being brutally honest. I thinks he’s wrong about the 35% black vote in 2012. I’d be happy with 75%.

Granny Jan April 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Obama went on AF1 to Miami by himself. The rest of the family went back to DC on Southwest. Only kidding about that. Apparently, AF2 flew empty to Cape Canaveral to take them home. I saw the kissy, kissy goodbyes on Daylife. It’s isn’t a school night so couldn’t the family have gone on to Miami for only a few hours? That’s rhetorical.

After Oprah…samething: two planes, one flying empty to Chicago. MO and her mother flew back to DC on AF2 while he went to NYC.

What is this extra plane costing us? Why is no one in the media talking about this?

Maryb April 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

Granny Jan..

We do know why the LSM isn’t talking about the use/abuse of AF2 by the American “royal” fambly….it would be criticizing the Won they elevated.

nelly April 30, 2011 at 11:15 am

As Mark Steyn pointed out the other day, the Queen and the rest of the Royals are cheap in comparison to our faux royals. The Queen never would have taken two planes to Chicago for a taping of an Oprah show and then had one take off to NYC while the other scurried back to DC. I’ve noticed how the second plane’s existance and use is not covered by the MSM. I guess if they don’t cover it, it doesn’t happen in their universe. Of course, we little taxpayers get to pay for all this.

Boo April 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Granny Jan – This is beyond outrageous! The only reason I found your comment (even tho the Dossier is the first thing I read in the morning and the last thing I read at night) is I missed yesterday and was catching up this morning. Can you bring your comment up to today (Saturday) so more folks see it? Can you give link to Daylife – I couldn’t find it. Purrs to Jihad Kitty. Thanks.

Granny Jan April 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Here’s the photo which is bizarre as BO will be back home just a few hours later. I’m hoping Keith will investigate but he has done it before and probably doesn’t win too many friends exposing it..

Boo April 30, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks. Disgusting. Doesn’t anyone at the WH have a clue, or do they just not care.

Keith Koffler May 1, 2011 at 12:29 am

Janice, thanks, you’re a gem. I’ll take a look. AF2 can be a few things, so let me know if you are aware which plane it was. I’m more interested in the Oprah taping. First Grandma goes along . . . I’m thinking she might be the main reason they went back. Michelle likes NYC. Two planes to tape an Oprah show. It’s outrageous. Stupefying, actually.

Granny Jan April 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

It’s a beautiful day in Western Massachusetts. My husband never plays on the busy weekends because so far they have refused to close down the course just for him to play.
I know someone who gets a course closed just by saying BOo. Today or tommorrow?

Keith Koffler April 30, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m thinking possibly both. Do you live near Greenfield? I have a friend from there – Kevin Hassett, the conservative economist.

Granny Jan April 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Yes, I live in Amherst about 20 minutes away. My husband used to work in the pits, I mean Greenfield, not a very nice place although there are some nice sections.

Star April 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I saw a lot of takes on them actually working a full day and shuttling around (not the space one). He seemed to be wearing the same grimy shirt from the tornado slog…no time to freshen up? Yicko.

bee pollen chinese zi xiu tang July 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

What a lovely story! The tale in this YouTube video that is posted at this place is in fact a nice one with having pleasant picture quality.