Trump: Right to Privacy? Abortion? What Do You Mean?

by Keith Koffler on April 19, 2011, 1:43 pm

New evidence that Trump is either not serious about a presidential candidacy, or that he doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously. And that he might just be President Obama’s dream opponent.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

srdem65 April 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I must need more sleep. I don’t see the connection either.
The reporter was looking for a ‘gotcha’ moment and failed.

Star April 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Yeah–I saw it as a gotcha, too–I must be missing this, too… Keith? Roe v Wade is based on right to privacy? I admit I am not a scholar of this…

Star April 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I don’t have time to write a term paper on this right now–or notes for a debate…but I did catch this sentence..
In Roe v. Wade, the US Supreme Court held that privacy rights included the right to choose to have an abortion;

Could this be like the “commerce clause”–mean what you want it to and the Supremes wanted it to mean this…

srdem65 April 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Oh, for Pete’s sake. No wonder we didn’t make the connection.

jeff April 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113
(1973) was a landmark controversial decision by the United States Supreme Court on the issue of abortion. The Court decided that a right to privacy under the due process clause in the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution extends to a woman’s decision to have an abortion, but that right must be balanced against the state’s two legitimate interests for regulating abortions: protecting prenatal life and protecting the mother’s health. Saying that these state interests become stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the mother’s current trimester of pregnancy.

The Court later rejected Roe’s trimester framework, while affirming Roe’s central holding that a person has a right to abortion up until viability. The Roe decision defined “viable” as being “potentially able to live outside the mother’s womb, albeit with artificial aid,” adding that viability “is usually placed at about seven months (28 weeks) but may occur earlier, even at 24 weeks.”

In disallowing many state and federal restrictions on abortion in the United States, Roe v. Wade prompted a national debate that continues today, about issues including whether and to what extent abortion should be legal, who should decide the legality of abortion, what methods the Supreme Court should use in constitutional adjudication, and what the role should be of religious and moral views in the political sphere. Roe v. Wade reshaped national politics, dividing much of the nation into pro-choice and pro-life camps, while activating grassroots movements on both sides.

Langley barfly April 19, 2011 at 3:16 pm

wow…
I wish that Barack Hussein OBAMA was serious about a presidential candiacy (2008-2012)
Barack Hussein OBAMA seems like he dosen’t deserve to be taken seriously…

kestrel April 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm

“whoops”?

Gee, sounds like the perfect answer to me. Would it surprise anyone that if you disagree with a decision, you might just disagree with the underlying premise.

We could argue that beating my wife is a matter of privacy within my home. But does that lead to having the right to beat my wife?

veritaseequitas April 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Abortion and the right to privacy is a vital connection for liberals somehow, even though in the real world one has nothing to do with the other. Abortion is nothing more than a woman’s right to murder he unborn child. I think The Donald’s answer could have been a little more forceful, but I think he was basically trying to make the idiot state her point a little more clearly which, since she didn’t have a point, she could not do.

Rick Golding April 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

We need to get some serious people out there talking serious issues or we’re going to give Obama another term. Isn’t there someone that can talk to this guy and tell him he is hurting the GOP?