Obama Cracks Up the Gridiron Dinner

by Keith Koffler on March 13, 2011, 10:28 am

President Obama last night closed the show at the annual Washington Gridiron Dinner, a white tie journo affair known incongruously for both its exclusivity and its outrageous stage acts and humor.

Obama was introduced to the chords of Springsteen’s “Born in the USA,” commenting, “Some things just bear repeating.” National Journal has a good rundown of the jokes.

But the dinner drew controversy this year as some reporters protested the ban on TV cameras, a rule which puts the journalists running the thing in the position of keeping some members of the press from covering the president. Print reporters can write whatever they want after the event.

srdem65 March 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

What this piece should have said:
Due to National concerns and International crisis, the President sends his regrets that he will not be able to attend tonight’s dinner.

Star March 13, 2011 at 11:41 am

This man is not funny–ever. Remember that and you’re fine.

GT March 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

Obama could have spent his time in the dais kicking kittens through electric fans and the press would have said he was hilarious.

What srdem65 said as well.

Star March 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You want FUNNY? Check out today’s USA TODAY WEEKEND–Michelle’s clothes icon-i-tude. They picked the WORST giant belts, cardigans with button gaposis, etc. Are they kidding?

Granny Jan March 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Will do.

Star March 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This one’s for you, GJ! And Joan Rivers–who is nervy but will NEVER snark out the First Lady, I am predicting.

Granny Jan March 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I wouldn’t have cancelled the event. Instead I would have forced them to watch all the horrific videos from Japan for 3 hours to wipe the smiles off their faces.

This one would have been a good choice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpOaH6DjcZ0

Granny Jan March 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I read the transcript and it was well-done full of self-depricating humor. It was obviously wriiten by a professional from late night tv. It didn’t sound at all like him.

Star March 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

He doesn’t write this stuff–he has no sense of humor, much less sense of the absurd…yes, govt still open for now…I am not from Kenya, kneeslappers…. For self-deprecating to work (in a case
where everyone in the room is not a braying sychophant), you need affection for the joke-teller–you need to be thinking, aw, he isn’t really like that…

Star March 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm

This is also why Bush’s searching under the desk for Weapons of Mass Destruction was in hideously poor taste…offensive.

Susan March 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

“All right, I hear the criticisms. I do. For example, I know that people think I’m not passionate enough. That I’m too cool. That I’m too detached. But as I was going through my daily routine — sitting alone in my study — (laughter) — meditating, thinking about how to win the future — (laughter) — I pondered this critique, and calmly rejected it — (laughter and applause) — as thoroughly illogical. (Laughter.) And for all those who think I golf too much, let me be clear. I’m not spending time on the golf course — I’m investing time on the golf course. (Laughter.)”

This is from Jake Tapper’s story on the get together. http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/03/presidents-remarks-at-gridiron-club-last-night.html

If he believes that is the worst of the criticism we’re tossing at him, he still isn’t listening. I know it is supposed to be self-deprecating humor on his part, but he doesn’t pull it off very well. I don’t think he has the ability to make fun of himself.

beth March 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Can we get a guest list from the Gridiron Dinner Party please??

Thanks!

Keith Koffler March 15, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Beth, Don’t have one, sorry.

David S. March 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

This is what happens when you elect a neophyte who knows nothing into the White House. Heaven help us…

Lee March 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Everyday in every way he shows he’s not qualified to be President. Makes you wonder how good a Community Organizer he was.

Keith Koffler March 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

Oh man, thanks for showing me these JE. Coming soon to a blog post near you.